We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer atire

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Summer atire

So, now the weather's nice & hot, have short wearing conflicts broken out on the streets of Manhattan?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer atire

If I were traveling into Manhattan today, I would be wearing shorts, polo shirt, sneakers (trainers) and white socks.

It is going to be oppressively humid and hot today and I would really want to be comfortable.

There is absolutely NO dress code in NYC, on the street, so conflict or not, wear what you wish, stay cool, drink lots of that excellent NYC tap water..

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer atire

From this morning's Times:

NEW YORK--Three people are reported dead this morning and two more are in critical condition after being involved in what officials are calling the worst outbreak of shorts-related violence in the city since the Pasty Legs Massacre of 1998. The violence erupted shortly after 5pm at the corner of 6th Avenue and 42nd street, when the Schmeltzers, an Ohio family of four all clad in shorts, was accosted by a roving band of fashion-forward Manhattanites, dressed entirely in black and sporting eyewear that will not be seen west of the Hudson River until 2012. Dale Schmeltzer, 43, attempted to blind the assailants--reported to be affiliated with the notorious downtown gang the Kouture Kids--by flashing his left inner thigh, but the tactic failed as the normally searing white flesh had turned a soft scarlet under the pressure of constant chafing in the New York sun. Linda Schmeltzer, 41, was able to wound one of her attackers by beating him repeatedly with a Proda bag purchased yesterday morning on Canal Street, and the spray paint used in the manufacture of the bag ran off into the fashion vigilante's nose and mouth, incapacitating him. Linda suffered repeated stabbings to the fleshy backside of her arms, but the gang's Wusthof knives were unable to penetrate the 4 inches of protective cottage cheese that surrounds her entire body. Kayla Schmeltzer, 15, and Aidan Schmeltzer, 12, were both strangled to death with iPod headphone cords, their bodies found 50 yards from the attack site hidden beneath their recent purchases from the MTV Store and Abercrombie and Fitch. Mr. Schmeltzer was able to fell one gang member, Nina Bergeron-Ungaro, 26, by striking her over the head with a frosted glass World Trade Center paperweight he had just purchased. Schmeltzer was cradling the dead Bergeron-Ungaro when paramedics arrived, her blood staining his Old Navy American flag t-shirt in multiple places. Police on the scene reported that Ms. Bergeron-Ungaro's final words, Twittered rather than spoken, pertained to a garage party in Bed-Stuy that you and everyone you know will not be invited to. A representative of the Kouture Kids condemned the attack, saying, "I seriously doubt any real New Yorker would be caught dead in Manhattan, let alone in Midtown. All of our members were in Devonshire's Haberdashery [a Greenpoint Korean-tapas fushion experimental film/DJ space] at the time." A spokesman for Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly decried the assault as "senseless" and "probably ironic."

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer atire

Hey Crans, nice try, but you can't scare me......

But then I'm not from Ohio.

Got a good laugh, thanks.

Poppa

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer atire

Thanks for the update Crans, I feared the worst but it's still a shock to hear confirmation, I take no pleasure in hearing of the latest development.

Are the style police on the case?

Meanwhile, in these perilous days I hope everyone chooses their atire carefully, (though I fear for the out of towners).

Hey, Hey, HEY.......let's be careful out there......

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer atire

Poppa, I will tolerate the shorts, but sneakers with ( HORROR )-WHITE SOCKS!!!!!

Say it isn't so!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer atire

I was completely puzzled by this family on the subway the other day. They looked French - they sounded French, but the mother and daughter were wearing brand new big white sneakers. If you think there's conflict here - just go on the Paris board and announce you plan to wear white sneakers in Paris! The son was wearing black Supergas (which I bought last trip to Paris) but with white anklets and shorts! Major fashion violation, even to this sort of civil libertarian.

They must have been from Alsace or something - much more Germanic in style then French. Maybe rural Quebecois?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
506 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer atire

Border control will not allow you entry to France if you wear white trainers/sneakers, it's a fact.

They must have been Belgian or Swiss.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer atire

Aha - didnt even think of Belgian or Swiss. I'm just wondering if hamburgers and white sneakers are now chic in some quaint "poor American" way!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer atire

Crans,

Thanks for the much-needed laugh this morning.

Evening,

I presume you saw the NY Times article on hamburgers in Paris from yesterday's dining and wine section.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer atire

yes, but didnt read it!