We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

London
5 posts
Save Topic
1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

hey, i'm going away in the end of september to New York and was just wondering a few silly things like, do you give tips or is it included on your check? erm..is there any rules in New York that i should know about? like i know the rule about j-walking, but is there anything else? and if anyone has been there before from England, is the difference in terms of value for money good, because i want to spend lots of money when im out there on electronics, clothes etc..

hopefully someone can answer

Hayley x

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

Everything you could possibly want to know about tipping, shopping and then some

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

>like i know the rule about j-walking< There are rules about J-walking but no New Yorker pays any attention to them. However, since you are from London and you expect the traffic to come from the right rather than the left when crossing the street, I would be careful until you get used to it.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

Angelv is referring to the extraordinary fact that there are no laws -- at all!! - against jaywalking in the UK; as a result, "jaywalking" is a word known in Britain only through watching American movies and TV shows.

Angelv, note that while there are laws against crossing against the light in New York, they are not really enforced unless one truly interferes with traffic. In other places, though (such as California), jaywalking is taken very seriously, and even if there isn't a car in sight, one can be summonsed for crossing against the traffic light.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

thank you all for your replies, i mean i know what j-walking was, but i just didnt know whether there are any other sort of rules to follow?..lol

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

People will expect tips left, right and center ! I go to New York every year and in all honesty it sometimes infuriates me. Hotel workers are the worst and sometimes very rude with it. Don't be intimidated into giving tips. Expect to tip doormen for carrying your bags (whether you want them to or not !) and looking after bags after you've checked out. Also for giving you your bags back and then for someone else to carry them to the taxi (whether you want them to or not !) I've had a couple of bad experiences with them just holding their hands out and not leaving you alone until you hand money over (for doing very little). Taxi drivers usually 10-15 %. In restaurants double the tax - which will be on the bill- and in your hotel the general rule is $2.00 per day for the maid. In bars you should tip a couple of dollars when you pay for your first drink to ensure you get served again or if you buying rounds then maybe tip a couple with every round to ensure the barmen looks after you nad gives generous measures ! Just remember tipping is for good service - if you're not happy don't tip ! Most people 'Jaywalk' on streets but I wouldn't attempt it on avenues !

London
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

thank you.. and what is it like for shopping wise, becase im quite interested in buying electronic goods from Apple, clothes, jewellery and cosmetics? good value for money etc?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

>and what is it like for shopping wise, becase im quite interested in buying electronic goods from Apple, clothes, jewellery and cosmetics? good value for money etc?< Because of the value of the pound versus the dollar, all these things will be less expensive than in London.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

Everything is cheap ! I'd go with empty bags because you'll easily fill them with bargains ! Most things can be half the price of stuff over here, especially cosmetics. I buy a lot of Benefit cosmetics and Origins, which I never buy over here anymore. I stock up in New York. Sephora has stores all over the city which is generally cheaper than the big department stores for cosmetics. I buy Abercrombie and Fitch stuff over there, which is half the price. If you plan on doing a lot of shopping and want real bargains then Woodbury Common might be worth visiting. I haven't bought a lot of electrics, but there is an Apple shop in Soho. Radio Shack is usually pretty good and there are lots of little electrical shops all over, especially around Times Sq. in which you can get a good deal, but you quite often have to barter. Don't expect prices to be on items, you'll have to ask and they'll start off high until you act un-interested and they'll reduced the price and throw in free stufff ! I'm never sure whether to trust these stores. Century 21 opposite the World Trade Center site can also be good for electricals.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

Do NOT buy any electronic items or cameras in stores in and near Times Square. There prices are higher and soemtimes do not have items with a guarantee. Except for Apple and Mac, go to B & H and J & R to buy electronic items and cameras

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time!! London to NY!! Few Questions...

If you like a good rummage for clothes bargains, definitely check out Century 21. I got a fantastic suit (I'm a girl, by the way!) for $99 which is admired whenever I wear it. Fifty quid!

One little word of warning - don't forget you can only bring back £145 worth of stuff without paying import duty.......