We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To wear shorts or not

Iowa
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To wear shorts or not

I was just reading past posts regarding dress codes and I'm getting a little worried. We are traveling to NYC the last week of July - ages 11, 16, 20 & 40's. We will be doing the typical tourist sites, Times Square, Central Park, WTC, SOL, Brooklyn Bridge, Yankee game, etc. With the heat the way it is we were planning on shorts - boys in nicer t-shirts, husband polo shirts -- are we going to stand out. Also planned on flip flops for kids and walking shoes for the rest of us. We will also be seeing Lion King @ 8 pm on a Saturday evening - what would you recommend? Nice slacks & collared shirts for guys? I'm more for comfort than fashion, but don't want to feel out of place. Will we have any problems in resturants during the day?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To wear shorts or not

You're going to look like the majority of your fellow tourists if you wear shorts, so feel free to do as you please.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To wear shorts or not

Have your read this?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2029937…

No one in New York stands out in anything, so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To wear shorts or not

Daytime in summer is pretty open. Wear what feels comfortable. If you are going to a high end place call in advance about dress code.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To wear shorts or not

Just returned from NYC today. I chose to wear summer dresses b/c I don't feel comfortable in shorts. You have nothing to worry about however b/c I saw plenty of people in shorts. No one is going to eyeball you and you won't stand out so no worries!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To wear shorts or not

If you are planning on doing a lot of walking, then I would recommend not wearing flip-flops. Podiatrists say the majority of foot injuries they see happened to people who were wearing flip-flops at the time. By all means, have the kids wear a good pair of walking shoes.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To wear shorts or not

I got a kick out of all the high school and 20 somethings on the subway with bandaids all over their flip flopped feet. Bad bad idea for all the walking you will do.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To wear shorts or not

Got back today and I wore shorts, summer dress and summer skirts during the day! It was 95 all weekend and I wanted to comfortable. I saw plenty of people in shorts. You won't look out of place.

I would suggest wearing your Sunday best to the Theater. However anything goes now a days, I was at Grease last night and 50% of the theater looked like the were ready to go to the beach. The theater is special and I think its nice to take it up a notch.

A Southern State
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To wear shorts or not

It was HOT this weekend. We saw:

Light cotton dresses or skirts

Shorts (most were decent looking!)

Capris

Do agree:

NO FLIP FLOPS - real shoes or real sandals (your feel get stepped on, encounter uneven pavement, etc.)

WATER BOTTLES ; )

It sounds like you plan to change before your evenings out...you'll be especially glad if you are as hot as we were during the day!

Have a great trip!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To wear shorts or not

Aviod flip-flops - wear comfortable walking shoes, shorts are fine, I think your idea for lion king is good too.

Yesterday was hot, really hot and muggy, I wore shorts to the theater (spamalot) and had a nice meal afterwards. No problem.

Umea, Sweden
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To wear shorts or not

My husband wore shorts when we were in New York last week, just like the majority of people there ( both men and women) I think he wore the shorts to Spamalot as well, it´s not like they have fashion police positioned at the entrance to the theaters telling you you can´t some in unless you´re in your sunday finest.

Wear what you feel most comfortable in, as long as it´s decent ;)