We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Broadway Attire

Florida
Level Contributor
687 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Off Broadway Attire

I searched many post on "what to wear" and they were all for big broadway shows. We will be taking the kids to see Jump in the Union Square Theater which is off broadway. What is acceptable to wear?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Broadway Attire

You will see everything and anything but you might suggest that they get a bit more dressed to make it a special occasion.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Broadway Attire

The same.

Although, IMHO, you'll see fashion differences based on theater location.

E.g. if the theater is, say, on W. 36th Street and 11th Avenue, where all the newish, indy, DIY shows are, you'll see a lot of faux-hawks, peg leg jeans, '80s retro, newsboy caps or porkpies, and eyeliner.

If the theater is, on the other hand, on the UWS, you might see a lot of brand new AARP membership cards, sensible shoes, and un-dyed gray hair.

Or, if the theater is GV, you'll still see funky outfits, but you'll also see pre-teens and teens, and the parents will have pinot noir on their breath

Florida
Level Contributor
687 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Broadway Attire

That's funny. Thanks for the info. My daughter (15) would love to dress up, however my son (11) would much rather wear jeans and button up shirt. So I think I will each let them pick out what they want to wear and be themselves.

MIA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Broadway Attire

Wear what you want. Anyone who has a problem with that is a busybody who should be watching the stage and not you.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Broadway Attire

Jump's theater is not fancy at all. If you dress casual, I don't think you will feel out of place. In general, I find that people don't dress up as much for the off-broadway shows (though I also see some people wearing shorts and sneakers to broadway shows- people pretty much wear what they want to the theater these days).

By the way, we found Jump to be very funny and entertaining, and the kids/teens seated around us seemed to enjoy it too.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Off Broadway Attire

Off-Broadway refers to the size of the theater, not the location - you shall see all types of people in all sorts of getups - it's sort of like Halloween at some theaters - but wear what's comfy and don't be intimidated - there is NO dress code for theaters, these days, shame.

Poppa

A Southern State
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off Broadway Attire

Saw "Jump" in October and "Tempest Tossed" on Saturday and both had the "casual yet slightly funky or artsy" look to most of the crowd.

Our teen loved "Jump" and the 90-minute length is perfect for this high-energy show.

Union Square Park - and lots of store and restaurants - are nearby, so leave some time to explore the area if possible.

Florida
Level Contributor
687 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off Broadway Attire

Familythattravels: Thanks for the info on the surrounding area. Any restaurants you could recomend before the show? Our show starts at 7pm. Also we are staying at the Marriott Marquis in times square - is this theatre walking distance or cab?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off Broadway Attire

JPCheers - Union Square is great for teens. Usually a lot of skatebaorders and political protesters there, a big, local Greenmarket 2x a week, and the square is surrounded by shopping - Filene's Basement, DSW shoes, American Eagle, Strawberry's, Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble, slighltly north is The Strand Book Store (AMAZING!!!) and Forbidden Planet (sci-fi/manga/comics) and slightly north, Paragon Sports (outdoorsy gear.)

Coffee Shop was (is?) the hispster-skinny-model hangout with a major attitude problem.

Republic is a noisy but super cheap and yummy pan-Asian noodle/rice place.

Havana Central has a decent ropa viejo and fish dishes, but since you're from Florida, I'm cautious to reco a Cuban place.

Chat 'n Chew is a Southern place best for brunch, not sure how it is at other times.

Max Brenner's, slightly south on B'way, is a chocolate-lover's paradise, and they also serve food. Great for after the show. Amazing shakes!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off Broadway Attire

TYPO: The STrand and Forbidden Planet are slightly SOUTH of nion Square, on B'way.