We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
471 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

Tidings to all, my son and I arrive at JFK tomorrow. On Sunday, at about 5:00 after a Yankees game, my son has decided that he'd like to go down to the WTC site and pay a bit of homage. We understand that there is really not much to "see" that he'd remember of the former area, but we had a policeman relative that left us on some floor of the north tower that morning, so it is something my son wants to do that I am perfectly willing to support. Just a few minutes there to pay respects before moving on.

What I'd like to do is start there and then catch a train back uptown a bit, maybe to Canal, walk up Greene Street to see the cast iron buildings in SoHo, then up through the Village and the surrounding area, and finally wind up somewhere around 20th and 5th, where we plan a late supper.

At one point on here, I thought I recall seeing a walking tour of this general type, but I cannot find it for the life of me. Can anyone help? We are sturdy walkers and subway vets.

New York Tour1
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
9\/11 Ground Zero Tour
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Foods of New York Tours
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
633 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

How about combining a walking tour with a food tour? http://www.foodsofny.com/ We did one in the meatpacking district last fall and loved it!

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

There are tons of walking tours. You could try this link and see what appeals to you.

…about.com/od/toursbr/New_York_City_Walking_…

I love the foodsofny tour that focuses on food and I loved also rockjunket which takes on a tour of the east village and focuses on the music aspect of the area.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

You could get this, and combine a couple of walks and make your own.

amazon.com/City-Walks-York-Adventures-Foot/d…

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
471 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

Thanks. I think the link Circi provides will fit the bill by combining the two village tours.

BobbyC, this is what we usually do, create our own path on a laminate map, however, I do not have the time for this before leaving and was looking for something pre-packaged, as it were! ;)

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

I'm with BobbyC.....we use the City Walking Cards every time we come to NYC. You can pick the neighborhoods you want to explore and carry those cards with you. One side is a map with subway stations marked and the other side gives you brief highlights and information about what you will see. We like the freedom of going where we want when we want and wandering off route if we see or hear something interesting.

You can find the box of cards in bookstores in NYC. I would try Barnes and Noble.

Have a great trip!

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

Look at this walking tour of lower Manhattan

www.nytimes.com/ref/travel/TOUR-LM.html

and make sure you visit St. Paul's chapel relative to the World Trade Center/9/11

7. Re: Walking Tours (Please help me Find)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:23