We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long does it take.........

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
how long does it take.........

hi all,

we are arriving into newark airport on tuesday 2nd september at 11am, can anyone give me an approximate estimation of how long it will take to get to the Affinia Manhattan hotel on 7th ave., please?

thanks in advance, mom89

Mentioned in this post
Stewart Hotel
Stewart Hotel
5,867 Reviews
New York City, NY
florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long does it take.........

Usually around 20-30 minutes if the traffic is light.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long does it take.........

How are you getting there?

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long does it take.........

hopefully by yellow cab.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long does it take.........

We took a New Jersey yellow cab from Newark to Embassy Suites Hotel (near Battery Park) at about mid-day and it took 40mins+. Fare was metered fare + tolls + tip + surcharge because NJ cabs can't pick up fares in NYC (and vice versa) - ended up costing $86 and I just said what the heck and gave him $100!

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,253 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long does it take.........

I would honestly advise against a cab. I would reccomend New Jersey Transit to NY. I don't know how far your hotel is from the train station.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long does it take.........

Here is the link for NJT sorry

www.njtransit.com

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how long does it take.........

"We took a New Jersey yellow cab from Newark to Embassy Suites Hotel (near Battery Park) at about mid-day and it took 40mins+. Fare was metered fare + tolls + tip + surcharge because NJ cabs can't pick up fares in NYC (and vice versa) - ended up costing $86 and I just said what the heck and gave him $100!"

Actually, you may have been cheated.

While it is true that NJ taxis (regardless of what color they are painted) are not subject to the same rules as yellow taxis in NYC (regulated by the Taxi & Limosine commission), If they pick up passengers at the official airport dispatch line, they are subject to oversight by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, the agency that controls all three local airports. Fares from EWR are subject to a sytem of flat fees based on zone/distance (+ tolls).

As far as tipping is concerned, it is true that Jersey cabs can't pick up return trips within the 5 boroughs...whether this fact merits anything more than the customary 15-20% is debatable; certainly it is a decent thing to do. On the other hand, By choosing to pick up passengers at the airport, drivers generally get larger fares than they would if they spent the same amount of time cruising the streets of Passaic, for example.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,253 Reviews
New York City, NY
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long does it take.........

Possibly we were "taken for a ride"(?!) but our return to Newark cost us $100 in a cab which the bell hop arranged for us and it wasn't a yellow cab. So next time (and hopefully that won't be too long)we may book something in advance at a flat rate if that is possible.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long does it take.........

aerules,

our hotel is very near penn station so perhaps we should try to go by train, it would work out cheaper and maybe faster .what do you think?

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how long does it take.........

The tain is the best option. Here is the link again.

www.njtransit.com