We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Bought tickets to "Lion King" for our upcoming NY trip and now am having second thoughts. A friend saw "Beauty & the Beast" on Broadway a few years back and said the theatre was packed with restless kids who liked to stand in their chairs and talk all throughout the show. Said it totally ruined the experience of being on Broadway.

What is the demographic that usually goes to see "Lion King"? I had heard many good things about the show and had in mind it was something a bit more abstract than "B&B" and therefore perhaps a notch more highbrow. Will this show likewise be mobbed by the 5-year-old set?

Mentioned in this post
The Lion King
The Lion King
8,682 Reviews
New York City, NY
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

The show is wonderful but will certainly draw an audience that includes families with children.

I thought it was far better than Beauty and the Beast - the staging, music, and costumes and masks are incredible.

Unfortunately, (soapbox time) too many parents have decided not to teach their children proper theater etiquette and so their might be some noise in the theater. I fear that this means that these little ones will grow up to be obnoxious adult theater-goers.

People can wear shorts, t-shirts, even thongs for all I care. I just wish they and their kids would shut up and watch in silence.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Yeah, see I could care less what people are wearing as long as they're quiet and there to enjoy the show as am I. Kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money and dragging your kids to the theatre if they're going to be bored out of their minds or fail to appreciate the spectacle of it.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

But put those second thoughts right out of your head! Enjoy the show and be sure to check out the gorgeous theater during intermission. It was beautifully and meticulously restored a few years ago.

If it helps, have a martini before you get there. :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Oh, I never drink martinis before attending a show ... just 2 or 3 glasses of a good chardonnay. ;o)

London, England
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

I don't know about Broadway, but I saw the UK show which had an small percentage of kids. I actually thought the show was much more suited to kids over 8 so I would think they would be of the 'sit down quietly' age group. It's not very much like the movie anyway, definitely worth seeing though, maybe pick the latest showing possible when all the kids might be in bed!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Used to be kids under eight weren't allowed into Broadway theaters!

Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Hubby and I saw it in May and loved it. There were children but all we saw were well behaved. Enjoy!

Falling Waters, WV
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

It is truly amazing you will love it.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
940 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

My 9-year-old and I went two weeks ago. We were down front, on the side (4th row). I saw a few other kids down near us, but not too many. It was at least 80% adults near where we were.

I did not see any disruptions with kids, but we were at the 8:00 p.m. Saturday show. I wonder if the afternoon shows have more issues with restless kids.

nyc
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is "Lion King" mostly for kids?

Worth seeing for the unbelievable staging and costumes.

Otherwise, it's a bore.