We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

Minneapolis
10 posts
Save Topic
Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

I can only find one recent reveiw of this on TA. Two others from 2007 and 2005. Anyone know if this is a fun/good tour?

Thanks!!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

I went in June of 2007 and it was an excellent tour, I highly recommend it. If you go to zerve.com (which is where you buy the tickets for this tour), there are tons of recent reviews. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

I did the Central village/Soho tour in March of this year and loved it. The tour guide was excellent and, since it was cold and March, we ended up 4 40 something women with the 25 year old tour guide. We had so much fun with him. We ended up teasing him and having a great time. The food aspect was really nice. He took us on a 3 1/2 hours tour and we had plenty of food. I compared the Greenwich village and the one I did and it seems that the one I did is more ethnically diversified and I very much enjoyed that since I will not do it on my own. The Chinatown walking food tour seems fun also. I want to do that one on my next trip. I recommend this tour highly!

garden state...
Level Contributor
171 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

We took this tour a yr ago. It was a nice walking tour, you get to know the history of the neighborhood. we were already familiar w/ the area, but wanted specific recommendations and have gone back to try what was recommended on the tour. the restaurants, delis, bakeries are put on this list by the locals in the area wh/ is good, it's not based on advertising. and all the places you go to are not large chains. my disappointment was not being able to taste as much as i would have liked. for instance, the guide will talk about how wonderful a french bistro is, but you wont necessarily get to taste the food from many of the places recommended - you'll hear what's good to order, the history of the restaurant, etc ... i would say about 1/3 of the places we visited did we actually get to taste their food. nonetheless, we still enjoyed the tour, and picked up food at the various places at the end of the tour to take home.

south
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

I loved this tour, not necessarily for the food but for the exposure to Greenwich Village. I saw areas I would never have seen on my on.

Wetumpka, Alabama
Level Contributor
230 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

We took it in 2007 and loved it! Bought tickets through Zerve. Just a note though, leave the rest of the day open, because you are going to want to wander around the village with the ideas and recommendations that they give you. We shopped some, just not long enough. From my trip report:

We hailed a taxi in front of ESB to go to our 12:00 Greenwich Village Food Tour. That really was a lot of fun! It was a busy Saturday morning and our group was all women, which Cindy our tour leader said was very unusual. It was truly an international group representing Alabama, Upstate New York, Australia, Japan, and Canada! We visited 8 restaurants total; visiting 4, then taking a break from eating before finishing up. All the food was delicious and learning about the history of the area and about some of the shops was so great. We had Joe’s Pizza (Peter Parker was fired from there in Spiderman II), mini cannolli’s, rice balls from Faicco’s Sausage Shop, fried mushrooms, Milk and Cookies’ chocolate chip cookies, John’s Beecker Street Pizza, chocolate pastry, cheese assortment from Murrary’s Cheese Shop, salami from Osttomanelli & Sons Butcher, and bread from Amy’s Bakery. We were in our Alabama shirts and the butcher in Osttomanelli recognized they were football shirts and asked us about Joe “the Jet” Namath. There so many cafes and shops pointed out to us, but we just did not have the time to go to back to all of them. After the tour, we did go back to Faicco’s and buy olive oil and then to a small herb and aromatherapy shop nearby

Edmonton, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

I am taking the tour of Greenwich village / Soho next weekend so I will post my comments for you the following week.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

Don't eat too much before because you will see that you get a lot to eat! Our tour guide Rahim made this tour an excellent experience. Be sure to come back and tell us about it....Enjoy!

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

Definitely! Do the tour! We had a fantastic time a few years ago doing this exact tour. Very informative and fun. We saw things that we normally would not have seen on our own. Good food and inside info.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

You may have read one of my old posts but I am still wholeheartedly recommend the walk, I keep taking new people along!

ebabe

Southampton England
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenwich Village Food Walking Tour

Agree with all the other posters, we did this tour in 2007 and it was great fun and got to see some places we would never have found on our own, we even saw a few celebs. And are going to go back to a couple of the places we went to on our vist next week. It's just a shame Chumleys is not open yet we were really looking forward to visting again....