We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

I see Canal stree mentioned but don't know too much about it. What should I expect?

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

Maddening crowds, standstill traffic, lots of noise, lots of jewelry stores, and sellers of counterfeits.

If you want to buy counterfeit, illegal knock-offs, Canal Street is the place.

If you want to experience the "real" Chinatown, head a little further south, to Bayard and Pell and East Broadway - that's where you'll find great, inexpensive restaurants, interesting stores, and many, many fewer tourists and rip-offs.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

All that SoxFan says is true. The crowds are maddening, knockoffs rule, and the street is essentially a caccophany of noise. However, that said, there is an undeniable energy on Canal Street. It teems with life bursting out in all directions.

LES
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

I can't stand canal street, nothing but cheap knockoff and filth. I really don't understand what people find appealing about it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

Buying counterfeit goods is illegal, supports terrorism and supports child labor.

It's also crap and people will know it's fake, which makes those who buy it look stupid and like sad wannabes

Not saying you want to buy counterfeit goods, just putting it out there on why doing so is a bad idea for anyone.

I personally hate Canal Street as most of the stuff sold is counterfeit and it's just a dirty, crowded mess. There are places in Chinatown to see and to actually shop, Canal Street just isn't it.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

In the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum is this collection of threads on buying counterfeit goods on Canal Street:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1882693… Fake_knock_off_faux_designer_bags_a_collection_of_posts-

But, aside from that, I see you're from Toronto, which has a very vibrant Chinatown. Ours is similar. Canal Street is synonymous with NYC's Chinatown, as it is the largest street that intersects it.

If you'd like to compare the two Chinatown nabes, then check out this great website that has lists of herb stores, restaurants, culture events, Buddhist temples and a great street map.

www.explorechinatown.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

I avoid Canal Street (I always take a parallel street if I have to be down there), but when I was dying for rambutans a month ago, the guy at the Thai grocery on Mosco Street told me I could find them on Canal. It was the only place they were selling them. When weird fruits are in season - that's where you can find them. The mangosteens were fresher and cheaper on Canal than any of the side streets.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
365 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

I'll be there in October, so sunset will be around 6:30pm. Is it safe for 2 women to walk through Chinatown after dark? Are the shops still open? and finally, is it too far from the WTC site to walk from there? Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

I've tried for a couple of years to find something special on Canal Street. My observation is that it's loaded with fake/tacky merchandise and nothing more. I skip it on visits to Manhattan.

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

Karen - Yes, it's perfectly safe to walk around Chinatown after dark.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect shopping/visiting Canal St?

See, I would argue that it's only safe to walk the streets of Chinatown after dark if all members of the walking party are hermaphrodites.

Just kidding. But again- I don't understand the constant assumption that women must disappear from the streets of New York City two hours before sundown. This is a walking city, and it's made up of over 50% biological females. Considering that the vast majority of women work and do not employ bodyguards, isn't it safe to assume that females will be walking the streets at pretty much all hours? As far as I know, no human being has learned to sprout wings and fly.

Beyond that, Chinatown stores tend to stay open later than most other places. Buying counterfeit merchandise is illegal and tacky. Canal Street is a poor example of Chinatown. Chinatown has great food. If you want to see Canal Street, go to Canal Street. If you do not want to see Canal Street, there are plenty of other things to do.