We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Untouchables and Grand Central

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Untouchables and Grand Central

Hi, in the Kevin Costner film, The Untouchables, the sceen with the stairs at the station is meant to be at Grand Central. It did not look like anywhere I could see in the main hall, does anyone know where they filmed the scene please?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

That was Union Station in Chicago :)

…google.com/TimAus04/…5124896809746999218

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

In the words of Homer Simpson, Doooh

Thanks, what a twit. ;-)

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Must be a Scottish thing (Sean Connery and all that entails) - I thought it was at GC as well!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

The entire movie takes place in Chicago, the movie had absolutely nothing to do with NYC. That was the whole movie, they must mention Chicago 40+ times.

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Darn it, and here was me thinking that it was set in New York. Bobby C - we know that, we are having a laugh at each other. Lighten up!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

You are the person who can't follow the basic plot of a movie to differentiate in which city it took place. Thinking the Untouchables is about New York is like thinking Roman Holiday was all about London, but if telling me to "lighten up" makes you feel better........whatever.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Oh no - BobbyC - you mean Roman Holiday is about Paris?????

Unbelieveable, eh?

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Hi Nellance!

I managed to get a photo of my hubby on the stairs in Union Station, while in Chicago, a couple of years ago. I had to wait until there were very few people about (quite difficult in Union station!) and be really quick taking the photo. Hubby doesn't do the posing in front of landmarks thing. I suppose it's a burly Glaswegian thing;)

M

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Bobby C - I think if you read my original note it was self deprecating. I was acknowledging just as the fellow before me had that I had got it wrong.

I am clearly not a film buff but I fully appreciate that the Untouchables film was set in Chicago.

My point is that it is fine for us to laugh at ourselves for making a blatant faux pas, but it is not polite for others to then add scorn and ridicule.

None of us are infallible.

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Untouchables and Grand Central

Hi Guys!

My little old Scottish mother used to say 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'. I have always found it a great way to act in life, unfortunately it it doesn't seem to translate well;(

Our friends in Chicago took us to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubby Bears. On the way there I started shouting 'it's Racine! it's Racine!', Sean's street in the film, my husband was the only one to appreciate my excitement. Our friends, on the other hand, were expecting to hear the music from the shower scene in 'Psycho'! The had never seen the film.

Our good friend is a retired cop and he organised a 'ride-along' with two Chicago cops for a couple of hours. (Drum Roll!..........) One of whom had played the stuttering, ginger, Irish rookie in The Untouchables!!!

Andy Garcia in Armani! Mmmmmmmmm........