We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

We will be staying at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge in mid-Sept. and would like to attend Mass on Sunday AM. Is this area safe enough to walk to church? If so, can anyone tell me which Catholic church is the closest and how to get there?

Thanks in advance,

Travelpatty

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

Yes, it is certainly safe enough to walk to church (and you will feel silly about asking this question once you have done it.)

The nearest Catholic churches are the Oratorian Fathers' wonderful Brooklyn Oratory of St. Boniface (great preaching, and a sophisticated music program with probably the best Catholic choir in New York City at the 11:15 Sunday mass) on Duffield Street, between Willoughby and Myrtle.

oratory-church.org/aboutus_history_brooklyn.…

Straight up Jay Street, on the other side of Tillary, is the Cathedral Basilica of St. James. which despite the grand name, and the fact that it is the Cathedral of the largest diocese in the United States that isn't an archdiocese, is actually just an average-sized, but handsome, parish church.

http://brooklyncathedral.net/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

It's just a few blocks from St. Charles Borromeo:

http://stcharlesbrooklyn.org/

That's a very safe, sedate, and well-to-do area.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

St. Charles isn't far, but St. Boniface and St. James are in fact much closer.

It might also be noted that even though the Marriott likes to claim that it is in Brooklyn Heights, it isn't; it is really in "Downtown Brooklyn".

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

I agree the Marriott is indeed in "Downtown" Brooklyn and it is very safe to walk. As another poster said you will feel really silly to have asked this question after you have done the walk.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

I'd like to ask WHY did you ask if the area was safe for walking to church?

Just curious!

Please get back to the Forum on this query.

Thanks.

Poppa

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

I asked the question about safety because I am not at all familiar with Brooklyn and just like in any large city there are some areas that are less safe than others.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

And that question, and the one about the location of the churches, were both given answers, which can be found above. And you're welcome...

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

Thank you to everyone who responded; finding your way in a new city ( and a huge one at that) can be a little daunting.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
402 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

Hi, Patty. I know you've already received advice on local churches, but I'd like to second the recommendation of St. Boniface. The 11:15 Sunday Mass there is a beautiful liturgy. There is also a 9am Mass, but without the choir, and they are worth waiting for IMHO.

Warning: Masses tend to last a little longer than those in a lot of other parishes. It could be hard to make a Sunday matinee afterwards.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catholic church in Brooklyn Heights

Brooklynite and I must admit a bias, as we are both members of the parish -- and I drive all the way from Douglaston to go there, I like it so much.

For either St. Boniface or St. James, use the back door of the hotel (the hotel faces Adams Street; Jay Street is the street in back.) For St. Boniface, cross Jay and walk along Myrtle Promenade (which I think is what they are now calling Myrrtle Avenue, since it is no longer open to traffic) through the pleasant "Commons" square at the Metrotech office complex until you get to Duffield Street, and then turn right.

For St. James, turn left out the Jay Street door of the hotel and walk up to Tillary Street; you will see the Cathedral across Tillary and one short block up past the playground (it is the one with tne brick and copper tower, and the gilded cupola.)