We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage allowance

Wales
6 posts
Save Topic
Luggage allowance

Hi everybody, were coming to New York on tuesday and travelling with continental airlines, can any body tell me the baggage allowance any help would be much appreciated, were both so excited and just cant wait to get there one more thing whats the weather like, we live in Wales and we havent had summer yet just rain. Thanks xxx

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage allowance

You should check with Continental or their website for luggage. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous. Thunderstorms predicted next Mon. and Thursday. Otherwise, sunny and warm in the low 80's (20's C)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage allowance

I dont know the security specifics of leaving Wales or England (which I think are stricter after the liquid scare of 2 summers ago), but Continental generally allows 1 carry on - typical rollaboard sized (22x14x9 but that's inches) and a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop bag or daypack (not a huge backpack).

The problem is consistent adherance to the policy. Before boarding a Continental flight in Lima they made an announcement that only 1 carry on was allowed and anything else would be gate checked. I was sitting there with a camera bag, and a daypack with my ipod/laptop/headphones and everything breakable/valuable I bought in Peru...luckily there was room to shove the camera bag in the daypack. Since that experience, I started carrying a folding tote around.

Finland
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage allowance

Hi there! I travelled with Delta this July and the allowance was 2 checked bags, maximum of 23 kg each. Continental seems to have the same allowance according to their web site. However, be careful not to go over 23kg each - my friends have reported having had to balance the weight between their bags:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage allowance

Sorry - I only do carryon so wasnt thinking....

And I flew Continental last month and for the first time ever, my bag got weighed before entering the corral to the kiosks.... Definitely keep the weight thing in mind, but I cant imagine how anyone can go over that generous allowance.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage allowance

Would it have been so hard to check for your self?

Anyhow I checked for you and found this,

continental.com/web/…

Just scroll down a bit to the 6th box down and it tells you there. Just incase you still can't find it then here it is

2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Ann

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage allowance

Annikits is correct - checking the Continental Airlines web site took me about 45 seconds......for accurate pertinent to the particular airline you are flying it is always best to go to their website for the latest updated rules and regulations....any reliable search engine will get you there, GOOGLE is my choice!!

Here is some info copied from the BAGGAGE section - but do check it has a lot of good, precise, accurate information.....

Checked Baggage

NOTICE: $25 Fee for Second Checked Bag

Continental has implemented a $25 fee for customers checking a second bag when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after April 5, 2008 for travel within the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

The $25 fee also applies when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after May 8, 2008 between Mexico, Bahamas, Caribbean, Central and South America* (excluding Brazil) and the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

Learn more about the new policy.

*Pending government approval.

Checked Baggage Free Allowance Guidelines

If your baggage does not meet the requirements listed below, please review the Excess Baggage policy.

Destinations Free Baggage Acceptance Baggage Requirements

Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada

For customers who purchased tickets on or after April 5 1 Checked Bag

Please see new checked bag policy Maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Economy Class - 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada

For customers who purchased tickets prior to April 5, 2008 2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Economy Class - International – Latin America, including South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico (except Brazil)

For tickets purchased on or after May 8, 2008 1 Checked Bag

Please see new checked bag policy Maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Economy Class - International – Latin America, including South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico (except Brazil)

For tickets purchased prior to May 8, 2008 2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Economy Class - Brazil 2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Economy Class - International - Europe, Micronesia, Middle East and Asia 2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

OnePass Elite Members Economy Class 2 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

First Class, BusinessFirst and International Business Class 3 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 70lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Ticket must reflect confirmed seat for segment in which customer is checking in

Military Customers on Military Orders 3 Checked Bags Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 115 linear inches (292 cm) per bag (total length + width +

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage allowance

Also depends were you are flying from. If from Bristol, you are only allowed one item to carry on with you. However, when you return, you can have your normal cabin bag plus a smaller personal item such as a hand bag.

Unless it has changed recently, you are allowed two checked bags each. So if you are planning on doing plenty of shopping, on the outward flight, it might be worth placing your normal suitcase inside a slightly larger suitcase so you have a spare for any extras when coming home.

By the way, either leave your checked bags unlocked, or only use TSA approved padlocks. These are available from many shops in the UK.

Wales
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage allowance

Thank you everybody for your info re baggage, yes I did check my self, but just checking things hadnt changed, once again thank you for all the advice.

9. Re: Luggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 19:18