We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Yes we are of tomorrow; me, my son and my mother - what a gang! I have an itinerarary ready but if anyone have some ideas etc. please let me know. I am most nervous for the flight, an active 7 year sitting still for almost 9 hours puh and for living 24/7 with my dear mother - havent done that in a long time.

So I am leaving you people for a week, be nice to each other and give all my love to Jane.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Have a wonderful trip. When your mother and son get on your nerves just remember that you are making memories to cherish later. Also, a glass of wine helps.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Matte ..... as we say here in the 'Land of the Free - Home of the Brave' ..... Dude ..... now it's time to 'cowboy up'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cowboy+up

Hey, just remember that your Mom gave birth to you and probably went through a very painful labor cause you have a rather large bulbous head brother ..... and listen ..... just keep telling yourself that one day Benjamin will hopefully be willing to change your 'adult diapers' after you have taken several glasses of prune juice each morning down at the nursing home.

So you're gonna get through this Matthias .... and your gonna have a wonderful time. Yes we can do this Matte. Think positive. Remember That which does not destroy us only makes us stronger. And let a smile be your guidebook ..... (fade to black) .....

Gray skies are gonna clear up,

Put on a happy face;

Brush off the clouds and cheer up,

Put on a happy face.

Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,

It's not your style;

You'll look so good that you'll be glad

Ya' decide to smile!

Pick out a pleasant outlook,

Stick out that noble chin;

Wipe off that "full of doubt" look,

Slap on a happy grin!

And spread sunshine all over the place,

Just put on a happy face!

Put on a happy face

Put on a happy face

Ipswich Suffolk
Level Contributor
4 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

I have recently been to NY with my 80 year old mother, who had a broken shoulder, husband and 26 year old daughter. Strongly advise with a 7 year old go to Central Park Zoo, it is only $8 for adults and although I am not a zoo lover this small intimate zoo, near the entrance to the park is well set out. Don't know where you are staying but the M1 or M6 buses, cost $2 per journey run from Battery Park way passed the end of Central Park. A ride on the bus from Battery Park to Harlem for $2 was excellent value. The Tennemant museum near China Town is also worth a look if you want to see what life was like in the 19th century. Applebys is a great place to eat and nothing was too much trouble. Have a good trip, wish I was going again.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Suggestions and ideas?

How about Nyquil shots for everyone!!

http://www.vicks.com/nyquil.php

I also vote for trains (Maybe the Transit Museum?) and animals (Central Park Zoo). Always successful choices for kids and older adults. A trip to Coney Island, the Aquarium and Brighton Beach combines trains, animals AND good cheap food!! Go for it!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Cant you get those drops the French use to drug their kids before flights????

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

queensboulevard, your post has me in stitches. I must admit on a trip to Philadelphia with my two young (at the time) children, my grandmother AND my mother I downed the Nyquil before bedtime even though my cold was so much better :)!

Matte75, best advice is to try and jot down a few notes each day and take lots of pictures. It will probably go by in a wonderful blur and it will be nice later to have a few cues to bring it all back! Also take the time enjoy the moment you're in and not worry about rushing off to the next thing (this is something I constantly have to remind myself about!).

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Oops, I forgot to add, for the seven year old, you might want to get some movies set in New York for him to watch on the plane (i.e. Ghostbusters, Night at the Museum, Balto (there's a statue of the dog at Central Park, etc.).

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Thanks people for the suggestions. We are going to the Central Park Zoo on Sunday probably and yes I am thinking about taking the number 6 bus down to Battery Park as well.

Yes LP I have a big head but you know what they say: big head...big...

It just occured to me that its my third trip in less than 2 years after wanting to go for 15 years...thats a little insane.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Big hat, right?

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day to go...any last minute recos, suggestions or ideas?

Right Crans!