We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best broadway show

wrexham
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
best broadway show

hi,i am travelling to nyc in dec and was wanting some advice as to which broadway show me and the missus should go and see,also any tips on how to get/book tickets for it before we go or when we get there etc.thanks

France
Level Contributor
322 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best broadway show

If you like Abba music Mamma Mia! I bought our tickets on the web.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best broadway show

Checkout playybill.com for info and discounts (you must be a member, but it is free to join). Also, tdf.org will have some info, including what was available at the 1/2 price booths, locations, etc.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
531 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best broadway show

Hi there

I've just to-day booked 2 tickets for Phantom of the Opera for Oct 3rd through broadwaybox.com. I have learned through this forum that discounts for various shows come up on this site about a month before you are due to go. If you register with broadwaybox.com they will send you regular e-mails giving you details of all discounts. My tickets work out at only E45 each! When you go into this site you will see list of shows which are currently on Broadway.

Can't wait to go. Want to book a jazz night next... Enjoy the planning...

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best broadway show

I would suggest seeing either a Disney show if you are into that sort of show or Ave. Q. Wait a month or so and then check BroadwayBox.com for discounts, discounts for Dec. aren't out yet.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best broadway show

Everyone's taste (and pocketbook) is different. The "hottest" shows which are also the ones that NEVER (or rarely) go on discount and are hard to book are

Jersey Boys

Wicked

Lion King

South Pacific

In the Heights

Billy Elliott will be opening here soon after a smash run in London.

Pal Joey

A Tale of Two Cities which is in previews now and opens later this month.

Then there are the shows that have been playing a while, very popular, but often available on discount. These include

Avenue Q

Mama Mia

Spamalot (Monty Python)

Hairspray

Legally Blonde

Gypsy

So....if you're not worried about seeing the latest hot show, wait a month or so and book something on discount thru broadwaybox.com (on the left column) or playbill.com (register for free to see discounts). If you want to wait til you get here, you can print off some of those discounts and take them to the theater or use the TKTS booths (info at

tdf.org/tkts

More info here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best broadway show

Unfortunately.......I've only saw a few shows. So....I'll tell you about the one's I've saw.

Jersey Boys - Awesome! I loved every minute of it.

Mamma Mia - It was good. I liked it, but I would rank Jersey Boys above it.

Rent - I hated it, but a lot of people love it. So, to each his/her own.

Phantom of the Opera - It was good. The Phantom's voice was amazing!

Drowsy Chaperone - I loved this show. I though it was hilarious, but unfortunately, it's no longer on Broadway! :o(

Stomp (off broadway show) - It was pretty good. I prefer plays/musicals though.

I'll be back this weekend! Yeah!!! I'm seeing Wicked and Avenue Q on this trip. I'm really looking forward to both, as I've heard great things about both of them. Hopefully this stupid storm "Hannah" doesn't give NYC a lot of bad weather or delay my getting out of Florida!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best broadway show

We're seeing Wicked this Saturday night...I can't wait!

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best broadway show

I saw little mermaid the other week and really enjoyed it. Check out this link broadwaybox.com/shows/little_mermaid_nyc_tic… for info on how to get $40 off.

As others have said broadwaybox.com is a great resource for getting discounts for far less than you will at the box office

hope this helps, keep us updated.

Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best broadway show

we are going to see spring awakening next weekend, any opinions on this one?

Level Contributor
547 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best broadway show

joanne,

You can see a preview of Spring Awakening (and other shows) at broadwayworld.com. I thought it was excellent, but wonder why you bought tickets without knowing anything about the show?