We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty

Hi! Do you know how long does it take the tour to SOL? Is it a several hours tour?

Can you go up inside the Statue now? or you just can be at the pedestal?

I don't want to spend too much time (I know it must be worth) but I'm staying for a few days and there's so much to see!

May be it's a good idea taking the ferry and seeing it from the river. Does it approach a little? Because if I'm going to see it 5 miles away, I think I'd better take the tour.

Thanks in advance!

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty

The thing that can take a long time is standing in the queues to go to the Statue and to come back again. We were going to go during our visit in July, but would have had to spend at least 3 hours altogether waiting in queues for a visit that would have taken no more than 1 hour.

You can get a reasonable view of it from the Staten Island Ferry which is free. The Terminal for this is close to the Statue queues. Another option is to take the Circle Line 1 hour Cruise from the South Street Seaport. It costs $25 but you get a better view than from the Staten Island Ferry.

I am obviously not American so the Statue doesn't hold the same appeal to me as it probably does to most Americans. Some may feel it would be worth the wait. Unless you can get there at the crack of dawn (or are there during a quiet time of year which may not exist in NYC) expect a long wait if you are determined to visit the actual Island where it stands.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty

Thanks a lot, Fundriver. Your comment has been very helpful.

I think I'll choose the Staten Island Ferry. Do you know the best hours to go? (I mean, the less crowded and the less queue)

I'm not American neither, so I understood your point.

Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty

If you just want to view the Statue, sit on the right side of the Staten Island Ferry on the way out. Going to Liberty Island does mean that you wait in lines. Also, there are many steps inside a claustrophobic space. After all, you are inside a statue.

More rewarding, at least if you have an interest in American immigration is Ellis Island. This is a beautiful building, and the exhibits are quite moving.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty

I already pm you, but IMO the Staten Island Ferry is not worth the trouble.........you really do not get very close at all to the Statute.

Check you emails re my further reply.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty

Thanks to you all, folks. You've been very kind and helpful.

trip_too_far
Level Contributor
233 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty

I'm going to NYC in December and was planning to see the Statue of Liberty for free from the Statten Island Ferry.

They views expressed here make me wonder if that is the best option.

I think I'll still do the Statten Island Ferry first and if we think the view wasn't good enough we'll do the €12 trip to Liberty and Ellis Islands.

I've got that right haven't I?

Regards.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty

That's also a nice choice, trip_too_far.

I guess may be I'll do the same. Thank you!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty

That sounds like a Plan Trip_Too

I'm not a wait in line person, so the Staten Island Ferry was great for us. It was a nice sunny day and we got plenty close enough for free.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of Liberty

First weekend of April, there was a huge crowd (not a line) quite deep waiting to board the Staten Island Ferry. Yes, did not take as long to get on probably as the line took when I lined up to get on the Ferry for Statute but all the same it is not a breeze depending on when you get on.

Yes sitting on the right is the way to go but you only see it from the distance..........so if you are down there anyway and you only have a few days, bite the 'bullet' line up at 8:30 am; see SOL VERY VERY UPCLOSE and personal without getting off, see a close up of Ellis Island without getting off and you would be back in midtown by 12:00 noon with some great pics. My favourite pics were approaching the statue, my friend stood in front as boat coming up to it, amazing.

AND if you also chose to just get off at ELLIS because that is really really historic stuf and info, you would be back in midtown about 4:30.

I never got off at the Statue. Dock is right there and of course the approach and departure are amazing.

10. Re: Statue of Liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 16:49