We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
394 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

I've read that the best airport to fly into/out of that offers the best public transport to/from Manhattan is JFK. Is this true?

Before I book my flight, I'd like to know if JFK or LGA is better to fly out of if I am coming from New Haven (I will be going from the airport to Manhattan for a few days and then up to New Haven for a few days before flying out). I won't have a car, so I'm not sure what public transportation or car service options would be available.

Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

Actually, LGA might be easier in your situation. You can take the Metro-North train to the Harlem/125th Street stop, where you can get out and board the M60 bus to LGA. (It runs down 125th.)

Is there much difference in price?

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
901 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

From New Haven most of us opt for Connecticut Limo (usually a bus or rattletrap stretch Suburban) $67 to either airport http://www.ctlimo.com/

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

The best time on the return is out of JFK. Although this seems crazy, would you suggest Metro North to Grand Central and then a bus from Grand Central to JFK? Heck, at that point with the time loss, I may just consider car service, no?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

Considering the traffic on I-95, especially through Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk etc...

I'd take the express train from New Haven to Grand Central for something like less than $15.00 each way.

Right outside Grand Central you pick up the express bus to JFK Airport. It goes right to JFK and it is also something like $15.00 (I'm not sure the exact cost)

You can see the traffic on I-95 from the train. Metro-North now has two trains an hour during weekday non-rush hour.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

You've gotten a number of valid options. JFK is further from Manhattan than LGA but has better train connections. If you're going to take a taxi or shuttle bus, LGA is faster. You can take a bus or taxi from Grand Central to either.

6. Re: How to Get from New Haven to JFK or LGA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:17