We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Hi - A friend will be in New York in October for her daughter's 14th birthday and would like any ideas on

things to do as a treat for her actual birthday day.

Thanks for any ideas!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Not all 14 yr olds are alike. What does this one like and what sort of budget does your friend have? Maybe a Broadway show? (Legally Blonde, Hairspray etc.) A helicopter ride? A shopping spree?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

My 15 YO daughter just adores Dylan's Candy Bar. It is located on Third Avenue and has more candy than you've ever seen. It really is quite a hoot. For info check out

www.dylanscandybar.com/jump.jsp…

Broadway and Off Broadway are also great suggestions. Try for tickets to Hairspray, Wicked, Stomp or Blue Man Group. St. Marks Place in the East Village is also a magnet for teens. A great place to pick up that unique T shirt.

Of course, much depends on the Kid. Does she prefer shopping, dining, museums, wandering, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Many thanks for the suggestions - will forward on.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Is she into art, shopping, adventure/sports, theatre, dining, etc? There are so many wonderful things for a 14 year old to do no matter her interest.

If she is into adventure, how about a lesson at the Trapese School? Rent a bike and ride through Central Park. Rent a row boat in the lake in Central Park. Shopping: a day exploring Soho, The Village and Lower East Side should do the trick. Museums and/or fashion: The Costume Institute at the Metropolitian Museum, the Egyptian Exhibit. Theatre: The choices are too many to list. My 14 year old daughter's favorites are Wicked, Mary Poppins, Legally Blond, Hairspray in that order.

Other fun things:

National Comedy Theatre for improvisational comedy theatre that is clean enough for a family!

Bateaux New York Dinner Cruise: My 14 year old daughter, 18 year old neice, sister and I loved this over the summer. Such amazing views. The food was very good and the dancing was fun even though my sister and I embarrassed our girls a bit!

How about dinner in Brooklyn (Grimaldi's for Pizza (casual), River Cafe (very fancy and formal aka expensive)) then a sunset walk across the Brooklyn Bridge followed by a walk up to Canal Street and Little Italy for dessert at Ferrara's Bakery on Grand off of Mulberry. This is a huge favorite with my kids. We opt for the casual Grimaldi's over River Cafe. The choice, of course, is your friend's!

There are so many wonderful things for a teen to enjoy in New York City, it's really hard to narrow it down. Remember in New York City, the sky is the limit (a helicopter ride perhaps?) Again, what are her interests? Moms

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Many thanks again - great suggestions.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

I took my 14 year old to see Legally Blonde for her birthday, and she absolutely adored it! (and I admit, i enjoyed it too).

Perhaps a makeover at either Sephora, or one of the department store make up counters, a manicure, lunch and theater! I know either one of my teen daughters would love an afternoon like that!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

Oh and Legally Blonde tickets are often available at a discount at www.broadwaybox.com

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
602 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

I must suggest a spa treatment at Bliss which is so much fun. They have a few locations in the city, the one at the W hotel on Lexington is very nice and if you stay at the W you receive a discount on your spa services. While you are having your pedicure/manicure they give you brownies/cheese/crackers and tea/water which is nice as well. I think that would be a lot of fun for a 14 year old birthday!!!

9. Re: Ideas for birthday treat for 14yr old girl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:17