We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro help

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Metro help

Can anyone please help us with directions?? I was trying to figure out the Metro/Subway...but a little confused.

Trying to get from Jfk to Grand Central Termnal via the Airtrain.

And also, trying to get from Grand Central Terminal to Yankee Stadium.

This is probably very easy for those of you that live in New York...but I am finding it very confusing and I don't want to get lost with only myself and 2 daughters.

Thank you so much!!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro help

1. Take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station.

Get the E train there to the 53rd/Lex station.

There, switch for the downtown #6 train to GCT.

There are elevators at each of those stations.

2. Simply take the #4 train straight from GCT to Yankee Stadium.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro help

Thank you sooo much....you are a life saver!!!!!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro help

And unless you want to confuse the locals, do not call the subway the "metro". The "metro" is in Washington DC, or Paris. New York does not have, and has never had, a "metro", and the word "metro" is never, ever, ever used by natives to refer to what is universally called the "subway".

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro help

I used the Airtrain last December and I made a mistake when it came to buying the metro card.

I thought I was paying for an unlimited card trying to save money but that was not the case.

The card was a limited ride only card so in the end I had to buy another card.

Pay for the airtrain card at $5 then buy the 7 day unlimited card at a station in NY for $25.

You buy the airtrain card when you leave the station not before you get on the train.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro help

Just to clarify the above post. You pay £5 at Jamaica station at the end of your Airtrain ride from JFK. Exit the Airtrain station and follow the signs for subway (Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av) station where you can then purchase unlimited ride tickets.

NYC
Level Contributor
908 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro help

And just to clarify the above post, you probably mean $5. :D

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro help

Frankly, from JFK to Grand Central, it's much easier to take the Express bus or a taxi. The Express bus has it's first stop right near Grand Central. You get on and get off at Grand Central, no changing or dragging luggage on the subway. If you have a lot of luggage, the subway is really not the best option as it will require stairs.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/ It's $15/person. For 3 of you, it will be $45. A taxi right to your door will be ~$60. For Yankee stadium absolutely use the subway.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro help

Blasted keyboard I certainly mean $5 on the Airtrain :D

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro help

Sky,

I took the Airtrain to Howard Beach for the A train, paid for my metrocard and followed the signs for Manhattan.

I took the subway because I only had hand luggage with me.

If you do take the Airtrain ask a guard just to be on the safe side.

As nywhiz has said there are steps to climb which is not good news when you've got luggage.

I was on my own and my hotel was on Greenpoint Ave, Long Island City and I had plenty of time to take it easy.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro help

One additional piece of information - for the trip from GCT to Yankee Stadium, make sure you get on the Uptown #4, not the Downtown.