We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in New York

Milan
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment in New York

I'm planning a trip to New York in December, we are a party of 4 and I would like to find an apartment to rend instead of an hotel room.

We have to stay one week (7 nights)

Any suggestion on how to find reliable contacts.

Thank you so much

stefano

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment in New York

Not a great idea. Legal and legitimate vacation apartments are rare in NYC. There are many scams and illegal rentals. Read this page from the FAQ:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

Here is the page of vacation apartments that posters have verified as ok:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2022756…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,771 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment in New York

Welcome pollon. Private apartment rentals in NYC are mostly illegal. Buildings here don't allow short term rentals. There are also hundreds (if not thousands) of internet scams on apts. This outlines the scams. You don't have to read it all, just read a few toward the end which are the more recent.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

Here's a list of apt. TYPE places you can find from suite hotels to b & b's. The problem you may have is Dec. is popular and many of these may already be taken.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2022756…

If you want to post your dates, your budget and how many beds you need (ie are you a family with 2 kids or 2 couples) we can try to lead you to the most logical options.

Milan
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment in New York

Thanks for your help!

(I'm reading carefully what you linked me)

We are two couples - so we would need two bedrooms or at least one bedroom and a sofa-bed available - and we will be there the first week of December 2008.

In the past we stayed at The Hospitality House in Midtown but now it's a Best Western

Hotel.

Thanks again

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment in New York

Depending on your budget Embassy Suites in Lower Manhattan may be a possibility. Our suite consisted of a good sized bedroom with a huge bed and a living room with a large sofa-bed plus a bathroom with shower and bath. I think there might be other bigger suites in the hotel. It is quite a distance from a lot of the main tourist things but the subway is only 10 minutes walk away and it is much quieter at night. Just across from the hotel is the Hudson River with a lovely walk down to Battery Park.

We were very happy with this hotel and would stay there again.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment in New York

I'm not sure what a hotel changing its name has to do with what's inside - if you were happy with the set-up before, why does it matter that it's now a Best Western?

Milan
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment in New York

No, you are right.

It's my mistake they still have apts, I thought they just had rooms.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment in New York

The Hospitality House has been a Best Western for years, a good option and if you liked it previously...although it tends to be booked-up well in advance in my experience.

As stated in the post/link above there are only a handful of places that posters here feel confident about, and most are apart-hotel type places, and are listed in that thread.

If you are coming in Dec you you need to get on and book as, with so few legitimate rentals, they fill up quickly.

ebabe

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,771 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment in New York

Best Western Hospitality House is one of the few places where you'll find an affordable 2 bedroom suite. I think 2 or 3 of the Affinia.com hotels have them. You'll find a 1 bedroom with sofabed much more easily. You can also find some 1 bedrooms with 2 beds in the bedroom. The Affinia Dumont has some with 2 queen beds and a sofabed.

You can try looking on

hotelconxions.com

to see if Radio City apts. has a 2 bedroom available but you should know that's a very popular time to visit NYC and will be expensive and hard to find availability.

9. Re: Apartment in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 08:19