We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Broadway show to see?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which Broadway show to see?

My mom, sister, 7-year-old daughter, and I are going to NY in November and really want to see a show. I'm trying to find a good one that will be appropriate for my little girl as well as enjoyable for the rest of us. My mom and sister have seen The Lion King, Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera, and they are not interested in Mary Poppins. I'm leaning towards The Little Mermaid, although we'd really LOVE to see Wicked. I can't find any discounted tickets to that one, though. Any suggestions?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

Why is no one interested in Mary Poppins? It was WONDERFUL! The movie actually is NOT one of my Disney favorites, but the play was terrific.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

My mom doesn't want to see it for some reason. She has always hated the movie, so she's not interested in the play. I would be fine going to see it, but I'm trying to please everyone :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

The only things I remembered about the movie (I was about 12 at the time) was the dancing cartoons and going overboard with SCFLEPDC, and I really didn't care if I ever saw the play. I went anyway for several reasons, and I just loved it. There is one (to me) creepy part involving the park statues, but the rest had me smiling the whole time.

So sounds like the Little Mermaid would be a good choice for your daughter. I personally think Wicked would be a little "old" for a 7 year old.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

Maybe I will try to convince them to see Mary Poppins. I'm afraid The Little Mermaid will be cheesy! Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

>>There is one (to me) creepy part involving the park statues, but the rest had me smiling the whole time.<<

Agree, Ww.

honeybasil, if your group hasn't seen Wicked yet go for that. I think you'd also enjoy mermaid and mary poppins with your daughter....

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

If you are coming on the 7th or after, how about the Radio City Christmas Spectacular? Not exactly a "Broadway" show but it is a unique New York experience! I'm off to see Mary Poppins tomorrow and can't wait but I know everyone has different tastes. The Little Mermaid wasn't my favorite show (we still had fun though) but your daughter would probably enjoy it. She might like Legally Blonde too. This is a high energy fun show. Wicked is my favorite but if you don't want to pay full price, any age appropriate show for your daughter should be a lot of fun!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

That's a great suggestion for the Radio City Christmas Show!

Jeffysgirl, I hope you have a wonderful, rat-free trip :)

Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

I understand Schreck the Musical is doing very well in ticket sales. It should be open by then.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

My husband and 6 year old daughter and I are going to NY for Christmas and were going to go see The Radio City Christmas Show". It's just so N.Y. and it will be fun for the whole family. All the other shows travel all over the U.S. and you can see them some other time , but I think this show is a great way to kick off the Hoilday's and only in N.Y. will you get to see it!

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Broadway show to see?

My vote would be for mary poppins,

A fantastic show to see!