We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excuse my ignorance!

burnley
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
excuse my ignorance!

i,v just seen an item on the blue smoke menu,HUSH PUPPIES,WHAT ARE THEY? (in the u.k.they,r a brand of shoes)T.I.A. Bob

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: excuse my ignorance!

:) Hush puppies are an American food consisting of small cornmeal breads that are deep fried in a spherical or oblong shape.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: excuse my ignorance!

Take a look at the wikipedia entry:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hushpuppy

I find that some restaurants do them better than others. The best ones, IMO, aren't all dried out.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excuse my ignorance!

They may be made from the same cornmeal batter that one would use to coat catfish before frying it. When being bothered by one's hunting dogs, who are whining for some of the fish they smell cooking, you can toss them one of these items as a distraction with a command to "hush, puppy!" And that really is one version of the etymology of the name of the item...

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: excuse my ignorance!

GWB: love that explanation of hush puppy.....will pass that on to my southern relatives

they are delicious, addictive and usually make me sick a few hours later...but i eat them anyway

and we also have the shoes called hush puppies having nothing to do with the food, lets hope

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: excuse my ignorance!

My roommate in the Army was from Shelby North Carolina and he told me the same story as the explanation GWB offers is 100% correct - the HP was invented to keep the dogs quiet while the cook was whipping up the grub.

Poppa

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: excuse my ignorance!

Ha Ha. I liked it better when I thought GWB was making the story up!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: excuse my ignorance!

my husband is 7th generation Virginian;he told me this story 20+ years ago..the Confederates doing the cooking used to fry up cornmeal and do just what GWB said:toss it to the howling dogs with the admonition"hush,puppy!"

Being a girl from Brooklyn I had only heard of the shoes!

8. Re: excuse my ignorance!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 12:27