We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Trip to NYC completed

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Topic
Another Trip to NYC completed

I got back from my fourth trip to NYC this morning. The previous 3 were all in winter (one in November, one in February and one in March) so this would be my first time in the city during summer, albeit very late summer, but the heat was enough for me.

This trip was conceived about 5 months ago in a London pub when my friend mentioned he would like to see a game at Yankees stadium before they move to their new stadium. So, by the end of that week, I had got tickets for the Yankees game against the White Sox on Tuesday 16th September and flights and hotel booked for Friday 12th September to Wednesday 17th September.

So, the highlights to come in the next few trip reports are: walking the streets and parks, my first trips on the subway, a trip to Coney Island, TOTR, sitting in the Guggenheim lobby, sitting in 12 pubs/bars and drinking lots of beer, watching lots of sports in pubs/bars, taking lots of photos, only 2 shops (yes, I’m the anti-shopper), 3 hot dogs eaten, hot, hot weather and, of course, the Yankees game.

So here is the first part and the rest will follow over the next few days.

Friday 12th September

I had to go into work first as the flight from Heathrow wasn’t until 6.05 pm and it didn’t seem worthwhile taking a day off just to pack and go to Heathrow. I got in early and my boss kindly let me go at 3 pm to get the tube and Heathrow Express to Terminal 5. No problems at T5 as I had checked in the day before, so had to queue for a few minutes at the Fast Bag Drop, picked up our currency from Travelex (commission free if you book online) and then we were through security in about 5 minutes. I just hope it stays like that when the rest of BA flights transfer across.

The flight was a little bit late leaving and we landed in New York about 15 minutes late at 8.45 pm. We were at the back of the plane and a couple of other flights had landed before us which meant we were at the back of a long queue for passport control. It took about 40 minutes to get through but at least our luggage was waiting for us.

It was raining which I think contributed to the lack of taxis and hence a long queue. There were taxis turning up, despite all the touts telling us there weren’t any taxis because of the rain. Err, well what are these yellow things then that keep pulling up every few minutes then and has the word Taxi written on them.

We had about a 20 minute wait but then we were on our way to the Hilton New York on the Avenue of the Americas between 53rd and 54th Street. We were checked in shortly after 11 and were in the Oldcastle pub on 54th by 11.30 having our first pint. I had researched brew pubs in New York as I do like to try different American beers and this was the nearest to the hotel. It had about 8 or 9 different beers on draft but I settled for a pint of Sam Adams and then 3 pints of Bare Knuckle Stout.

Now, when ordering a pint in this pub, it is an American pint i.e. 16 fl oz which compares to the British pint of 20 fl oz. So, at $7.50 for a small pint, it isn’t the cheapest pub in NYC. There are places where you can get a 20 fl oz pint (i.e. a proper pint) for $6.50.

Whichever way you look at it, I think that the price of beer is one thing (maybe even the only thing) that is generally cheaper in London than New York. We did find a place that did $3 pints (that's the smaller American pint measure) on Sundays and Mondays so all was not lost. The dearest we paid was $10 a pint but that was at least the larger British pint measure but still way overpriced. In our defence for paying this, it was a hot day and we wanted a cold beer.

Anyway, we called it a night at about 1 am as we had now both been awake for over 24 hours.

Fort Worth, Tx
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

Sounds a lot like one of my trips, brainstormed over a few refreshing beverages and centered around the idea of seeing one of the grand old baseball "cathedrals" while we could.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

Did you factor %alchohol content into your price comparisons?

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

And the coldness factor, you have to consider that. Maybe the bars in NY charge less for warmer, flatter beer?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

With the pound to dollar ratio, you can't tell me that beer/ale cost less in London than New York.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

3.10 GBP for a pint of real ale in a top London pub in early Sept.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

Wetherspoons offer a wide range of guest ales in their pubs for under £3.00 a pint and 'standard' beers at around £2.00.

I agree with Mick beer was one of the few things that cost more in NY than London.

east london
Level Contributor
181 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

can you remember the name of the pub that did $3 beers on sunday's and mondays??

cheers.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

"With the pound to dollar ratio, you can't tell me that beer/ale cost less in London than New York."

Oh yes I can!!!

When I went I got $1.725 to the £ which meant that $7.50 for a pint worked out at about £4.40 and that was an American pint and not the larger British pint. If it had been a 20 fl oz British pint then pro-rate (and hoping I've done my maths right) it would be £5.50 (still cheaper than Paris though). And yes, I know it was a pub in mid-town but an equivalent pub in the West End would charge somewehere around the £3 to £3.30 mark for a similar drink and in a proper pint glass :).

The other thing is that if you go into a pub in London and ask for a pint you will always get a 20 fl oz size one whereas in New York (and other parts of the US) you'll sometimes get a 16 fl oz pint. So whilst it may be equivalent to London prices (depending on the prevaling exchange rate of course) you're getting 20% less beer for your buck.

hammer-lad,

The pub is called The House of Brews and is on 51st between 8th and 9th. It's about the 2nd building on the left from 8th Avenue as you walk towards 9th Avenue. They have another pub on 46th Street also between 8th and 9th Avenues. The $3 brews were advertised as only being available when there's football on (that's NFL) so I'm not sure if it'll be available when the season finishes. There was only 2 beers avaiable at $3 and that was Checker cab lager from the Chelsea brewing Co and Yuengling lager.

Their website is below:

houseofbrewsny.com/media/thehouseofbrews2.ht…

And Jack, I'll let you come up with a formula for calculating the true value of a beer as long as you take into account the refrigeration costs to make the beer ice cold and devoid of taste :).

east london
Level Contributor
181 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

nice one cheers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Trip to NYC completed

Sams Smith's pubs are also cheap - i paid less than £3 for a pint of my lager at the Princess Louise in June.