We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas

perth
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
christmas

Just a couple of things

1. what would be some ideas for a great special night out in new york ? i was thinking of getting a limo and going to dinner and a show or would like a limo and go see christmas lights etc does anyone know where i could look for this?

2. what is new york like the day after xmas ie is everything back open or not because in australia it is a public holiday and nothing is open.

3. when and where should i start looking for places for xmas day menus etc?

thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas

1. Harbor dinner cruise, range from $50-$150. Go around the city by boat, lived in NYC for 25 years and didnt do this until before I moved out, wish i did it sooner.

2. Everything will defitnitely be open, day of Christmas museums are closed, double check on museums, other than that, everything should be open.

3. Not sure what you mean on this one, some restaurants have menus online, try pages like citysearch.com, of course this page, and also check out hopstop.com for getting around.

good luck!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas

What are you thinking of in budget for dinner and where are you staying? That will make a difference on what to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Christmas Day the city kind of goes closed. Best places to eat depend on if they are open and you have reserved early. Some hotels have pretty good food for holidays. You might check that out.

I'd look for places to eat on Christmas now. And reserve.

The day after Christmas the city is back in full wing. Most everything open.

Hope tis helps.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas

1) Agree a cruise is a great idea

bateauxnewyork.com

gets high marks. Dinner and show is also a good idea. Limo is somewhat unnecessary for that imo. If you want to see Xmas lights, there are bus tours that get you up higher. Dinner and jazz club yet another.

2) Crazy busy. Not a holiday here.

3) Start doing some reading now. Put holiday meals in the text search for the forum and you'll find 2 major threads, one listing where to look and the other with reviews. Opentable.com is a booking site for some restaurants and will start having listing in Oct/Nov.

4. Re: christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 22:17