We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in winter??

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New York in winter??

i have booked to go to New York on the 2nd of January for a week, it’s a surprise for my boyfriend’s birthday, but as he has never been before and I’m worried that the cold weather may spoil the trip. Is it a bad idea to have your first experience of the city in winter? And is it really that cold? I’m not sure what to do thinking about cancelling it, but I no weather shouldn’t get in the way of such an amazing trip. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in winter??

It's cold, but the UK isn't a beach vacation during the winter either. Everything is open, it's less crowded than at Christmas, and 8 million + New Yorkers manage just fine. So the idea of cancelling seems to me a bit silly. Bring a warm jacket, dress in layers, and have good shoes/boots (water proof would be good)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in winter??

Here is the average temperature

Maximum / Minimum in Fahrenheit and then in Celsius

January 39 / 26 4 / -3

February

40 / 27 5 / -3

March

48 / 34 8 / 1

April

61 / 44 16 / 6

May

71 / 53 21 / 11

June

81 / 63 27 / 17

July

85 / 68 29 / 18

August

83 / 66 28 / 19

September

77 / 60 25 / 16

October

67 / 51 19 / 10

November

54 / 41 12 / 5

December

41 / 30 5 / -1

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in winter??

Relax.

The weather outside might be frightful / but the city will be delightful / there's so many places you can go / if it snows, if it blows, don't freeze your toes.

OK that last line is a stretch, but actually it is not much worse than London. You might get a really cold day, but you can also get a warm one. Check http://www.wunderground.com/ for info on specifics. If the weather is bad just plan indoor activities. MoMA, the Met, the Musume of Natural History all can fill up a day. A night at the theater is fun. In very very rare cases the city is hit by a blizzard, but if that happens it will only shut things down for a day, so stay home and......

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in winter??

I normally always go to New York in winter time....Summer is too hot and humid I think...My first experience was in November but its getting a bit manic then so for the past few years we always go in January....Much better....The sales are on...doesnt seem as many people, not as frantic....Still has the Christmas decorations up...ice skating in Central Park....plus accomodation is much cheaper then....

I am actualy just back from New York, came home yesterday and it was my first time ever in New York that it has ever rained when i was there so u just cant predict the weather....and i would certainly rather the cold than the rain...and once ur wrapped up u will be fine....its like crisp cold not like wet damp cold we get over here if that makes sense.......I certainly wouldnt mind about the cold at all in Jan and in fact we will be going ourselves again same time as you next year with my 5 year old son...So dont worry!....I wouldnt cancel if I were you and have a super trip!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in winter??

I would echo Conors sentiments. I have been alot in February. Once, completely snowed in for a day. But it is always pleasant.

Again I think the difference is the cold isn't damp like Ireland or England.

Just wear layers, as everywhere inside will be toasty warm, and you can sit in most restaurants/bars in short sleeves and be very comfortable.

Just relax and enjoy.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in winter??

Hey,

We will arrive in New York on new years day and cant wait!

If its cold you put on more layers.....not too many mind as you sweat buckets when you go into shops malls etc

We were there in Feb a couple of years ago and it was really sunny but very cold

Do not cancel...........

Gordon

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in winter??

On January 15th or so, a couple of years ago, it was Martin L. King weekend, my wife and I had lunch and cocktails at a bistro in the Village, it was around sunny and 65 degrees - so the weather certainly is doing its own thing.....don't cancel - it would be silly to do so, IMO.

Poppa

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in winter??

I should have mentioned we had lunch and cocktails at an OUTSIDE table........etc....

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York in winter??

Thank you all for your help, you have given me great advice and put my mind at rest, definitely not going to cancel! Fingers crossed the weather doesn’t get to bad and we have a great time, its New York city after all how can anyone not have a good time :).

Thanks again

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in winter??

If it's cold and windy (NYC can be very windy and the buildings form a wind tunnel) you'll need a scarf to wrap around your face. Bring a hat, gloves or mittens, etc. etc. and keep moving. Being too cold to walk is my favorite excuse to pop into some gorgeous restaurant or hotel bar to have a little something to warm me up. ;)