We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Topic
Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

Is it ok to pack wrapped packages in checked luggage? I thought yes and my husband just questioned me about it.

Only two hours sleep and my brain has shut down. Would be so grateful for an answer.

I did a quick check of tsa.gov and didn't find this topic.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

I'd wrap after you arrive, just to be on the safe side. No fun to wrap and have the wrapping torn off by inspectors.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,899 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

We had a wrapped book opened (at least they didn't RIP the paper but it was all wrinkled) - and it was clearly a book, couldn't have been anything else. I think they just get their jollies that way.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

Thanks for your help!

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

A lot depends on the particular TSAs that inspect your luggage. Some seen to delight in ripping through everything, and I know of two instances where what should have been "questionable items" were never touched at all.

For peace of mind, I would pack upon arrival if possible.

Englewood, Fl.
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

Sorry .... WRAP upon arrival..............

6. Re: Wrapped packages in checked luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:16