We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Can't believe it's only a week before we go, so excited I can hardly contain myself.

Thanks to this place and the great advice by all the experts and others, I have built up a rough itinerary and some must-do things. I have booked a couple of activities already designed to appeal to my boy, but I'm going to enjoy them too for sure:

Knicks game (yay!!) and a Hip Hop walking tour in Harlem (Hush tours).

Also booked for the Ground Zero Workshop (obviously this doesn't come under the category of 'enjoyment' but it wouldn't feel right to come to NY and not acknowledge and pay respects).

All the activities on the agenda at the moment (MOMA & the Met; walking Brooklyn Bridge, pizza at Grimaldi's; Central Park; TOTR; Greenwich Village; Staten Island ferry; NYPD museum....etc) are all daytime things. I've earmarked places to eat for lunch / on the run but I have nothing planned for the evening (apart from Knicks game).

Can anyone help?? I really wanted a Broadway show but the prices are just beyond the budget. Eating out in the evening is going to be a bit restricted pricewise too, unfortunately, and usually I think we will need to eat in the hotel (we have a one-bed suite with kitchenette).

Can anyone recommend some good (low-cost!) activities in the evening? He's too young for bars, obviously, but maybe there are some cafes or other places that would be suitable, just to people-watch, soak up atmosphere..?

He's pretty mature in many ways and won't be in to kid stuff, and has a scarily well-developed sense of humour (if that helps)

thanks in advance for any help.

New York Tour1
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Nice Guy Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Foods of New York Tours
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Listening to music at Cafe Wha (I'm pretty sure they admit teenagers, but double check)

Comedy show - like the Upright Citizens Brigade

Are the discounted shows beyond your budget, too? Do you know about www.broadwaybox.com and www.seasonofsavings.com ? The Off-Broadway shows are cheaper.

Are you here on a Saturday? You might enjoy this show, which has discounts available through travelzoo.com:

Level Contributor
814 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Cafe Wha in the Village would be great for him, and yes they allow all ages

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

These are great suggestions Kateoz - thank you very much indeed.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

My 15 year old love St. Marks Place in the Village. It is a street loaded with t-shirt places and a funky/punky vibe. Its a great place to walk down. At the end of St Marks on Second Avenue is STOMP, an off-broadway percussion show. Tickets are $40, and are thus much cheaper than actual broadway.

Keep going down St. Marks and eat at the Yaffa Cafe, decent food in a cool setting that won't break the bank.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

http://www.newvictory.org/shows.m -- this theater is inexpensive and even the really cheap balconey seats are good, we've been many times

See also the family travel section at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-… -- I esp recommend the Natural History Museum and the Metropolitan Museum Of Art (for your 14 yr old, the ARms and Armor and the Egyptian sections). Both are actually by suggested donation, and you can pay less to get in if budget is an issue.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

You can also get reduced price tickets for Broadway shows on the day of the show. Available in two different locations - one in Time Square and the other in John Street, in the Southern end of Manhattan Island.

I think they are on sale between 11 and 6 on weekdays, and 11 & 4 on Saturdays. Can also get tickets to the next day's matinee performances - but only at the John St location.

We just got tickets to Grease. Price on the internet is around $150 ea, and we got them for $61.50 each. I took my 11 year old son and he really loved it. I think he was surprised how much he enjoyed it.

Even if you don't go to any shows, there is plenty of action to watch around Broadway - the lights are incredible - and even apart from people watching, the traffic watching - we enjoy watching the police and Fire Dept vehicles trying to get thru the jams. Also the bike taxis vying for custom. It's amazing.

The shops are open until late too, if that helps.

Have fun !!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Fantastic ideas - thanks so much everyone!

Can't believe I left St Marks place off the list and Yaffa cafe sounds perfect.

Like the sound of Upright Citizens Brigade and The New Victory Theatre Theatre looks good. I see Gamarjobat (Japanese mime artists) are playing there - they feel like old friends, we've seen them every year since they started coming to the Edinburgh Festival. They're great fun, by the way.

Perthflourish, I know it seems crazy to think that we'd have nothing to do in the evening (!), I just want to keep the aimless wandering to a minimum (we're far too good at that already). Mind you, at the rate I'm going we'll barely have time to sleep!

Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Becks Edin, Thanks so much for asking the question I never thought to. I wanted something really New York to entertain my 16 yr old daughter (shopping is perfect for her but fortunately the stores do close). Cafe Wha sounds like a great time. She'll get a feel for the NYC night life while keeping it real for a 16 year old. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Like you, our time is so packed I don't see much sleeping. I need to stop visiting TA NYC! Every day I find something else that sounds too cool to miss.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Add National Comedy Theatre to your list if you are here on a Friday or Saturday night. It is an improv Comedy Theatre and offers "clean" entertainment (in other words appropriate for a 14 year old).

Another idea is to take an evening boat cruise. The skyline at night is spectacular!

I'm going to dive into something that most locals don't recommend but teens enjoy a great deal....Little Italy. The food is reasonably priced, not spectacular but much better than the chain Olive Garden, and is offered on Mulberry Street in a very festive atmosphere. Or you could eat in Chinatown then head up Mulberry for the fun of the street then have dessert at Ferrara's on Grand. It is a lot like Rue de Huchette in Paris in quality but what teen doesn't love that atmosphere?

Have a wonderful time! Moms

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on evening entertainment for (mature) 14 year old?

Hi will be there same time as you with our 15 yr old son, we have NY Rangers tix, plus a few shows for the evening's, on our last visit we found we where all pretty tired from walking and where glad of a rest at night, TOTR is great a night, people watching in Times Square, M&M World, Virgin etc all pass the time at night, opp the Garden there are many places to eat had a great gyro in a cafe opp