We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!! need feedback fast...

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help!!! need feedback fast...

i have until tonite yto make up my mind about New York Helmsley otherwise price goes up.

I'm getting the NY Helmsley (across from Grand Central station) for the same price as a red roof inn by the Empire State building.

which is better bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

I think you realize that Red Roof is listed here as a 2 star and that Helmsley is listed as a 4 star (although not glamorous imo) so you know which would be better value. But the fact that you can get them both for the same price may mean you'd be overpaying for the Red Roof.

The Red Roof is in an area I don't particularly like but it's very convenient for getting around and most tourists like it. The Red Roof is near Macy's, Penn Station, closer to Times Square. I would personally pick the NY Helmsley of these choices but you might not.

Salem, OR
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

Hey NVWhiz, why don't you like the area around the ESB? I'm already booked at the Metro, but any warnings would be appreciated.

Queensland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

I'm booked at the Metro too, purely going by reviews on here, but I do notice that it is never recommended by anyone on here. Is that because of it's location? I just saw that it was central, had good reviews so I booked! Maybe I need to rethink......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

I think most NYers feel that way. Bettina has said the same. It's very commercial right near Penn Station and Madison Square Garden so not very attractive and has a shortage of restaurant options. But it's very convenient for getting around, it's close to Macy's and lots of other stores for shopping and within a walk to Times Square. You'll be fine there and the Metro gets good reviews. I just would suggest a bit of traveling for dinners.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

I agree. I live in the area and always go to other neighbourhoods to eat, doesn't mean there's no restaurants around, just not a great vacation feel to the area.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

I noticed that you're from Edmonton - I'm also from Edmonton and planning a trip in Sept. I'm looking for affordable rooms and haven't found anything. What's the rate for the NY Helmsley, and where did you get the rate? Thanks

Edmonton
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

thanks for your input everyone...

I'm getting a rate of $175 for the Helmsley and $190 for the Red Roof Inn.

it's obvious that the helmsley has a higher raitng, but on this website the Red Roof Inn is rated higher #67 Red Roof Inn vs. #126 for Helmsley. so i was just basing it on that.

with this new info, which hotel would you recommend?

Rectangular State
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!!! need feedback fast...

Looks like I'm in the minority. We love the Red Roof Inn location. It's right in the middle of Manhattan so by definition it is not far from anywhere. Also, the free breakfast can't be beat.