We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in new york city

Spartanburg, SC
8 posts
Save Topic
Parking in new york city

My husband and I are traveling to New york November 3rd thru November 6th for our 25th Anniversary. We will be staying at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East or the Courtyard New york Manhattan/Upper East side. Does anyone know which one would be the best? My question is which parking garage is the closest? Since this is our first trip we didn't know if we drive straight to the parking garage when we get there and walk to the motel with our luggage or what we do. Also would like to know if we need to book a broadway show before we get there or after and if anyone could recommend a good one.

New York City
Level Contributor
155 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in new york city

Unless you really need it and it's part of your travel plan, please do not drive a car into Manhattan. The parking fees that you pay will make your pockets empty very fast. And you will have to "lug" your luggage a distance! Having a vehicle here will fast ruin your very special anniversary. The fun part of visiting here is walking, riding the subway or buses, or taking your first New York taxi ride! If you really need to drive a car while you're here to go visit somewhere far, I would suggest joining and using a Zipcar. Congratulations on your 25th anniversary, and enjoy your trip here!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in new york city

Well...I can answer your question about the Broadway plays. You should book in advance if the show you want to see is one of the really popular ones (for example: Jersey Boys, In the Heights, Wicked, etc.). Otherwise, you can get your tickets when you're in town either by going to the theater box office or going to a TKTS booth for discount tickets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in new york city

You can find nearby parking garages and rates by plugging your hotel address(es) into

http://nyc.bestparking.com/#1

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in new york city

Find a garage close to your hotel and enjoy your stay. Do not think you are a fool to drive to NYC, many do it. While here, the car will stay in the garage and you will get around the city via your feet, taxi, bus or subway, but driving into NYC will in no way ruin your special trip. Happy Anniversary and enjoy your 3 days here.

Spartanburg, SC
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in new york city

Thank you,we are driving because when we leave there we will be going to Washington and Atlantic City on our way home? Iam still not sure which Courtyard to stay at, any recommendations?

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in new york city

Driving into Manhattan is fine...go slow and go with the flow. Once you get the hang of it you will be cutting in and out of lanes and keeping up with the cabbies. find a garage close to your hotel and either wheel your luggage or have one in your party drive the car to the parking garage while someone else checks in. It is a painless job and enjoy your trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in new york city

I don't know much about the insides of the hotels, but the Courtyard Midtown East is more centrally located than the one on the Upper East Side.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in new york city

Parking in Manhattan is an expensive joke. If you manage to find a spot on the street, you will have to move your car in a day or two anyway due to "alternate side of the street parking." If you ditch the car in a lot, it's gonna cost more than your mortgage. In midtown the rates are especially ornery.

It really would be best to leave your car behind and rely on our great public transportation. If need be, you can get a cab.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in new york city

Look at Icon parking, you can prebook at a discount (you MUST print out the confirmation). Drive to the hotel, drop off luggage, drive to the garage, dump the car. One important note, inside the borders of NYC there is NO TURN ON RED at every intersection (unless posted otherwise), this is the opposite of what is the rule in the rest of the country. Tickets are very expensive.

For broadway shows, join playbill.com for free for discounts to many plays.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in new york city

I would try to avoid driving in NY at all costs. Parking is expensive, the streets are congested. If you must drive in the city, avoid parking on the streets. The sity has tow trucks that tow illegally parked cars and its a nightmare to get the cars back.