We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.K passport.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
U.K passport.

Does anyone know if I need to have six months left on my passport in order to enter the U.S.A

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.K passport.

Yes you do

Crawley, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.K passport.

Not according to the US Embassy website, unless I've read it wrong.

"Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States."

usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/…niv079

3. Re: U.K passport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 09:33
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: U.K passport.

I realize people come to the Forum for answers on travel - however such a technical and important question as this is better directed to the government passport office, wouldn't you think?

While you received a couple of answers, the last gives some doubt re: the original query.

Contact the UK Passport issuing authority for the "official" stance on this issue.

You'll be better off and also have peace of mind.

Poppa

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.K passport.

You only need 90 days for US but the airlines have their own rules which they are allowed to do

Llanelli, Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: U.K passport.

I came back from NYC last Saturday; my passport expires next January and I had no problem. We flew with Virgin Atlantic. New York City was fantastic, btw.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U.K passport.

Thanks for all your replies. My husband's passport will have 25 weeks and 3 days left on our date of return and we to are flying with virgin.Think I'll give them a ring later to clarify the situation.We fly in February ,can't wait!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.K passport.

If you've got that much time, why not just get a new passport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U.K passport.

Yes, get a new one now. The time left gets added on to your new one, and the price for a passport will only ever go up. It's so easy to renew now. You fill out a form online, they send it to you to sign, you send it back.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U.K passport.

I wouldn't even ask anything like that on the forum - go on fco.gov.uk or the US Embassy websites to find out exactly. As what you're gonna do if you have a problem at the airport? Tell them, "well, somebody on tripadvisor told me..."!??