We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

perth
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

How far away is this from manhatten? would they be still on xmas night itself and how late do they stay on?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Yes.

…msdn.com/oldnewthing/…6736302.aspx

To measure distances, you can use

www.hopstop.com

Why not take a tour!

http://www.bknypizza.com/christmas.html

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

The X-mas lights on Dyker Heights are amazing. Picture an entire neighborhood all competing for the most extravagant lighting. It is absolutely amazing.

The only problem is that it is indeed difficult to get to as there is no subway line to Dyker. There are express buses that do run there from Manhattan. Here is the Dyker Heights web page that does explain your transporation options:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyker_Heights

Here is a web page that shows you some of the lights in the Heights:

…about.com/od/…dyker_heights02-jpg.htm

The lights will still be on during Chrismas and stay on all night. Xmas night should be insane and amazing

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Hi

Would anyone know how easy the walk from the nearest subway stop to Dyker is?

Also, what streets are the lights mainly concentrated around?

Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Take the R to 86th and either walk or take the B64 bus and get off around 11th or 12th Ave, the houses are in the 80s, walk up one block from 86th you will see the crowds and the lights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

It would be a pretty long and cold walk in the winter. When you get off at 86th, walk to the corner and a few stores down from 86 Noodles is Ridge Car service. Ask them to drop you off on 86th & 14, by the Knights of Clumbus building. The fare shouldn't be more than $10.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Thanks for your replies, when we are in NY I think we are going to get a 7 day Metro card. Would I be able to use this on the express buses to Dyker Heights or is that operated by someone else?

Thanks

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

No offense, but if there was ever a topic that cried out for the word Christmas and not the word Xmas, this is it!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Express buses are operated by the MTA, same as the subway, but you can't use a 7 day card on them. Express buses are designed to get people into and out of Manhattan during normal work hours, I really don't think it's the best way to get out there to see the lights. You can take a D or N Exress train and then transfer to an R train.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

Hi BobbyC

I have not researched the subway too much yet but would I be right in thinking that if I was to get the R train from Manhattan, it would take a lot longer to get to my desired location than if I got an express train and then swapped to an R? If so, where would you recommend swapping trains?

Thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dyker Heights Xmas Lights

The D train, switch at 36th street, the N train switch at 59th street (these are the Brooklyn versions of 36th and 59th street)