We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar/Restaurant advice?

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bar/Restaurant advice?

Arriving next Wednesday and staying at The Metro Hotel - 45W 35th Street. Could anybody personally recommend any good bars/restaurants where we could eat on the 1st evening as will be tired from travelling and not wanting to wander aimlessly looking for somewhere!

Nothing too formal but somewhere with good atmosphere!

Can't wait- counting the days!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

You'll be right near "Little Korea" - a small but compact stretch of Korean BBQ places. Some are open very late, and some cater to late-night partying for visiting Korean business people, karaoke, etc.

I don't know any personally, but if you type in "Korean BBQ" in the forum search box, they'll pop up.

Otherwise, another classic NYC experience is Keen's Steakhouse. You can eat at the bar for less $$$ than the dining room.

Otherwise, not a whole lot in that area. Lots of fast food.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

Keen's real nice. Upscale though and a bit stuffy. I've been there a few times.

Stout is on 33rd between 8th and 7th I think. Great casual bar. spacious. good atmosphere and casual affordable food.

Or you could walk down to 3rd ave and there are a bunch of small great nyc taverns.

I would choose Stout overall. closeby.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

O'Reilly's Pub on 31st and B'way nice atmosphere, generous pub menu....

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

The best way to get this information is as follows.

Go into Google, select the "Maps" option at the top.

Type in "45 west 35th street new york" and you will get a map of the area with your address indicated in a popup window. In that window click "Search Nearby" and then type in "restaurant".

Bingo, you will get a list of most of the local restaurants and their exact locations. Of course you'll sill need to come here to ask for personal recommendations !

Obviously you can use that google facility to find pharmacies, shoe shops, or whatever.

If you want a bit of fun, click "Street View" at the top.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
134 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

You don't have to go to 31st street for an O'Reilly's - there is one right on 35th street a few doors up from the Metro Hotel, there are two other Irish pubs on that street - Brennan's and the Playwright. But I would second the recommendation for Keen's bar area, less formal and a bar menu in addition to Keen's regular more expensive full list. Also, there is a brand new Italian restaurant on 35th just east of 5th Ave - I'm afraid I can't remember the name - but the desk staff at your hotel will probably know it.

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

Thanks a lot for your advice

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

We just got home after 3 nights in NYC. After reading reviews, we went to The Perfect Pint 123 45th St, a great Irish pub. The food was great as was the service and we went back for lunch before leaving yesterday. Check their web site. We recommend their lobster bisque, portobello burger, death by lobster... warm, fresh bread is brought after you order, wines are very reasonably priced, Guinness is good. Louise the manager, Padraig the bartender and Lucas, the bartender in the upstairs dining room were super. Looks like it will be about a 15 minute walk for you, perfect for the first night as it was for us.

8. Re: Bar/Restaurant advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 00:16