We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in New Jersey an option?

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in New Jersey an option?

Hi,

My husband and I will be spending a weekend in NYC this month. I really need to book a hotel and as I look around it is very tempting to save the money and stay in New Jersey, but I'm just not sure if this is practical. What is the best way to get from NJ (Newark or somethere else... suggestions?) into the city? Would the train/subway fares outway the benefit anyway? We are definatly looking to travel on the cheap, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

I live near Wayne, NJ and take a NJ Transit bus from a mall whenever I need to go to the city for the day. It's generally a 30-45 minute ride and costs $6+ per person. The bus drops you off at the Port Authority Terminal which is pretty central. I believe there are closer ones in the Secaucus area which is probably just 20-30 minutes away.

The tradeoffs are pretty obvious and will depend on an individual basis.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

Here's a guide to staying in New Jersey that describes travel options from various hotels:

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/nj_nyc.html

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

From Newark there is New Jersey transit to Penn Station and PATH service to the World Trade Center lower Manhattan area.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

It's not a horrible option but if we have your dates & budget. Perhaps we can hekp you find something in the city or perhaps Long island City Queens.Which would be easier..

Did You check here for specials maybe the dates would work?

hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/496596

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

Will you be driving to NYC? Newark airport is not a good idea (too far and too expensive to travel). There's a Hilton Hotel attached to the Newark Penn station that's a cheap option and a direct train ride to NYC Penn station but there are some closer options.

Here's what I've written before on the subject:

If you find you just can't afford a NYC room, options in New Jersey that I think make some sense

>In Jersey City, the Hyatt Regency and the Doubletree Club are right near the PATH train into Manhattan (like a subway). These are also 3* Priceline hotels listed in the NYC area airport section of Priceline and are regularly won for under $100/night. I don't think either has free parking so check that. There is also a Courtyard in Jersey City that's near a PATH station and a few other hotels (but not all).

>The Sheraton on the Hudson in Weekhawken, NJ is directly across from midtown Manhattan. M-F there's a ferry right outside the door of the hotel($5/person per ride though, so $10/person for roundtrip). On weekends, you must take a shuttle bus from the hotel down the street to another ferry stop. There are also buses that run along Boulevard East into Port Authority bus terminal, but commuting by bus from New Jersey you are subject to traffic jams. This hotel is only good if the savings from NYC prices are big (not always the case) and there aren't too many of you so daily ferry prices aren't too bad.

>the Holiday Inn in Fort Lee, NJ also known as the George Washington Bridge location is very inexpensive and very close to the bridge. BUT, staying here you should plan on driving your car into Manhattan over the bridge and parking for the day maybe on the upper west side. There is bus service to/from the hotel but you have to cross a very busy highway getting back that sounds dangerous. This hotel is not really near anything but the GWBridge and is for people who need no amenities near their hotel.

There are also hotels in Queens just outside Manhattan that are less expensive and near a subway. Long Island City is the closest area in Queens to Manhattan.

Just remember that when you're not staying in Manhattan, you can't rest midday, drop off packages or change clothes for the evening without making 2 roundtrips. Many of these hotels have no restaurants near them so you're either eating at the hotel or in Manhattan.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

We are riding to NYC with some friends who are staying elsewhere, so we won't need to park. We will be there from December 20-23 so three nights in the hotel. I know I am waiting to the last minute....

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

Perhaps a better option is staying in Brooklyn. You have a choice of a variety of hotels, with the Marriott being the closest to NYC. The Hotel Blue is also a fine hotel in Park Slope. There is also a Holiday Inn Express on Union Street in Park Slope.

You also have a variety of Bed and Breakfasts which are found on the TA site. I'd recommend staying in Park Slope as it's closer, but Ditmas Park is also a nice neighborhood and is accessable to Manhattan by subway.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

The best option is something along the subway line. Long Island City (Queens) is a solid option.

Choice Hotels has some properties in Long Island City, there is a Comfort, Clarion and Quality. All are good.

Sunnyside is another option.

There are some good options in Jersey City however you'd have to ride the PATH train. Best to be on the subway.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

Subway better than PATH? I think Jersey City is as a good option as Queens if not better. You can drive to the ferry to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island on the Jersey side which is much cheaper, shorter wait, and nice views of Manhattan. I know I'm a little biased.

rochester ny
Level Contributor
122 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in New Jersey an option?

We stayed in a Hampton Inn in Carlstadt NJ back in October and would recommend it to anyone. Walked outside the hotel, caught the bus into the city which cost $3.40, buses ran on a frequent schedule and the ride was not bad at all. We loved the hotel...clean and comfortable.