We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Any one ridden either or both of these bus lines. DH and I are traveling to NYC for a weekend and I wanted to make the trip as painless as possible. His last trip by bus was on Fung Wa and he had sworn off buses forevah. I am hoping one of these two bus lines is not horrible. Any thoughts Beantown to Big Apple?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Six of one, half-dozen of the other, in my experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Oh, and yes, they're both non-horrible!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

I had a completely painless rtp on Bolt Bus to/from Philadelphia. Left on time, came back on time. The driver was very friendly/humorous and the wireless seemed to work for the people around me (I get too car sick to look at a laptop or even text!)

Have been reports here about no show buses though since I made my trip (dont remember when I went, but it was for Frida Kahlo at the Philadelphia Museum, whenever that was)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

I have yet to ride on Bolt, but a friend did and was very pleased... found it downright luxurious for a bus, and the wifi worked most of the way.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Any views on megabus? I've seen them driving around the UK but i've always thoughi no way can anything that cheap be decent!!

Then again NY to Washington DC for a $1 is unbeleivable!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

you pretty much have to book the first seats on the bus to get the $1 fare. But $10 is still reasonable and a world above Fung Wa (although Fung Wa better positioned to pick up a bahn mi for the trip)...

I would normally rather ride a train for double the time of any bus, but these buses are pretty comfortable....

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Do you know if either BoltBus or MegaBus have bathrooms on board. many thanks!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

Have you looked at Amtrak's fares to see whether there is anything competitive? The Amtrak route through Rhode Island and Connecticut runs along the Shore Line and it is actually very pretty if you're on the water side. Amtrak has a lounge car and there are restrooms.

I think the Bolt Buses look sleeker and better, they're operated by Greyhound's team of experienced and safe drivers. Megabus has raised a couple concerns among people I've spoken to but none of that is first hand and none of it very specific.

I think I'd go with Bolt Bus ahead of Megabus.

I believe Bolt has restrooms on board, most new buses do.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

I'm pretty sure the Bolt Bus had a bathroom. the bus was spotless and new, so the bathroom is probably in decent condition....

Amtrak may come down to earth soon, but the NE corridor fares are ridiculous. Its like $45-55 from NYC to Philadelphia and can be over $200 for a RTP to DC. They sometimes have fare code discounts you can find on their site, or on frommers.com

10. Re: MegaBus vs Bolt Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 08:18