We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any food court like places?

houston,tx
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any food court like places?

We will be staying at the Westin at Lexington this Christmas and it will be me and my 2 teen kids and we are on a tight budget(due to unexpected job loss) so no expensive meals or sit down restaurants this trip.

I wanted to know are there any food courts in the area. Not necessarily fast food name brand restaurants but other types of foods also. I like the food court setting so everyone can choose what they want and not be too expensive.

I did have plans for trying out new restaurants but due to an unexpected job loss, that plan went out the door real fast.

I booked Westin on priceline and airfare and both are uncancellable so we are going to make the best of it and have fun.

We also like gyros and shawarmas and rolls if any good price and places that you can suggest.

thank you :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any food court like places?

I'm sorry to hear about the job loss and hope things pick up for you soon.

There is a food court in the basement of Rockefeller Center with several cheaper options, so it's worth a look when you're nearby.

By and large, however, we don't have many food courts since we don't really have malls. But there are cheap eats all over the city.

Here's our FAQ page on cheap eats:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k578735-…

NY Magazine publishes an annual guide to the city's best cheap eats. Here are the guides from

2008:

nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2008/48677/

2007:

nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2007/34995/

2006:

nymag.com/restaurants/…index1.html

and 2005:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/12310/

A similar guide from TimeOut:

timeout.com/newyork/articles/features/9142/t…

Some of my favorite shawarma places are

Alfanoose (near Wall Street, Battery Park, and the World Trade Center): http://www.alfanoose.com/

Mamoun's (in Greenwich Village): http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/

Rafiqi's is a chain of street carts with great gyros and other sandwiches. They have outposts all over the city, including Union Square and this one in Midtown:

yelp.com/biz/rafiqis-delicious-food-new-york…

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any food court like places?

There is a Food Court area in Grand Central Station. It is not your typical mall food court but includes outlets for some well loved New York eateries. You can get Pizza at Two Boots, Cheesecake at Juniors, etc.

Another option that my teens love is to try some of the good pizza restaurants. We recently ate at Lombardi's in Soho, the first pizzeria in the US, and fed three teens, an 11 year old and 4 adults for $97.00. With a group half that size you can anticipate half the bill (we did not have any alcohol). Other pizza recommendations in the same price range include Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and John's on Bleeker or on 44th near Times Square.

I, too, am sorry to hear about the job loss. These are very hard times. Good luck with the job hunt and I wish you a peaceful trip to NYC. Moms

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Just a note about food courts and finances - these places aren't exactly cheap - in fact I think you can do better in small neighborhood deli's or even pubs for food.

I frequent Grand Central Terminal and recently had a longer wait than usual and decided to have something to eat - a bowl of chili with a piece of stale bread and a bottle of water set me back around $10.00 - I know a pub where this same combo would have been around $7.00.

So don't discount looking on menupages.com for budget restaurants/delis - you can do a lot better than these food courts - they remind me of the refreshment stands in movie theaters - captive audience - high prices.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Sorry about your job loss, but cudos on making the best of it on your trip. There are a number of things you can do on the cheap or for free.

First, plan to travel by subway, fast and efficent, a daily pass is $7.50 Per Person, 7 consuecutive days is $25 PP.

Museume of Natural History is pay what you want for musueume entrance all the time, $1 PP will not be a problem, or $5 for all of you. You won't get the sky show for that, but you can still spend a day or two there. The same is true for the Metropolitan Museume of Art, and special tours and exhibits are included there. The Frick Collection has that policy on Sunday Mornings, The Bronx Zoo on wednesdays (at the zoo, some indoor exhibits, the congo groilla forest and rides will be extra)

Staten Island Ferry is free all the time, nice harbor cruise, goes past the statue of Liberty. At Pier 10, just south of the South Street Seaport, there is a free ferry to IKEA. You should go into the store for a look. Sometimes they will give priority for the return trip to customers, so get a return hand stamp or ticket, whatever they are doing now, or buy some cheap item and have a bag with you.

For food, there are a number of locations of Greys Papya around town, 2 hot dogs and a drink, under $3. Pizza abounds. Gyros too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Al's post reminds me--be sure to read our FAQ page on visiting NYC on a budget. Lots of good ideas here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any food court like places?

I'm terribly sorry about the job. First I want to tell you that there is only 1 Westin hotel in NYC and it's not on Lexington Ave. so it would help to know which hotel you're in. If it is the Westin in Times Square, you'll have lots of good inexpensive food on 8th & 9th Aves. in the Hell's Kitchen area. If you are staying on Lexington Ave. it would help to know where so please report back.

Here's a thread from the FAQ on cheap eats. Some of the info is 2 yrs. old so some of these places might have closed. Doublecheck on menupages.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k578735-…

Here's a budget guide from NY Magazine that has dining and some sightseeing ideas

nymag.com/cheap

As people I think have said, there is no real food court in Manhattan. Grand Central terminal has a number of different restaurants but they don't share a common table area. There is something that approximates a food court beneath Rockefeller Center but I agree with Poppa, you will probably do just as well if not better with local small restaurants. The challenge may be that the best value restaurants are often not in tourist areas.

The single best deal in all of NYC imo is the recession special at Gray's Papaya for hot dogs. 2 hot dogs and a drink for under $4. And the dogs are great! They have several locations, one's near the Museum of Natural History if you want to go there (pay what you wish entry). These are just snack bars not restaurants.

The Burger Joint inside the Parker Meridien hotel is a little hard to find but some of the best burgers in the city.

John's pizzeria has several locations, 1 in Times Square and another in the village. Great pies and good value.

Ethnic food like Chinese, Japanese, Thai is usually good value. Todai is an Asian buffet place where for a set price you can eat all you want.

http://www.todainyc.com/

There are lots of coffee shops & diners that have huge menus, lots of variety and good prices and serve breakfast lunch and dinner.

So tell us where the hotel is and we can pinpoint some more places.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Sorry I now realize Crans already gave you the links I posted. But tell us which hotel it is. ;)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Just another suggestion - I was reminded by NYWhiz's post - GET OUT OF THE TOURIST AREA for more reasonably priced food - however in midtown here is a place we've been patronizing for years - used to be on 47th moved a couple of years ago:

Bergers On the Go

Neighborhood: Manhattan/Murray Hill

2 E 39th St

(between 5th Ave & Madison Ave)

New York, NY 10016

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any food court like places?

New York is cheap food paradise, if you know where to look, and what to eat. Here are some suggestions:

1. Pizza, any place, any time, any where. NY Pizza is famous, and even the best of pies won't set you back too much.

2. Indian Buffets. There are various buffets on 3rd Street, many of them are for lunch. They are inexpensive and delicious.

3. Chinatown. Here the option is to get several dishes and share them family style. It's pretty inexpensive that way.

4. DIY. Head to Zabars, Balduccis, or any other number of specialty stores, get the food you want and prepare it yourself. We've been known to get a cheap cooler, ask room service for ice, and go shopping.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any food court like places?

Another great way to eat cheap is by buying food from the outdoor street carts- many of which have gyros and shawarmas.

I have cut and pasted from an article in the Daily News about top street cart food in areas you're likely to be

2 places right near Bryant Park (where there's free ice skating-just pay for renting the skates)

"Kwik Meal 45th St. and Sixth Ave. A favorite of the Vendy Awards, Mohammed Rahman "puts out a really fantastic, fresh, flavorful product every day," says Jesse. Frequent diners praise his lamb on rice.

Biryani Cart 46th St. and Sixth Ave. Meru Sikder serves up classic biryani rice dishes at this cart, and the $5 biryani with pickle and egg makes a perfect lunch. Plus, he won the people's choice award at this year's Vendy cookoff."

Near the Gray's Papaya that I mentioned above and also not far from the Mus. of Nat. Hist.

"Sammy's Halal 73rd St. and Broadway, Queens Samiul Haque Noor cooks halal food "with great ingredients ... beautifully seasoned," says Brian. Noor has several carts, but the one in Jackson Heights is the flagship, and Brian loves trips to the nabe. "The carts are all lit up at night," he says. "It's worth a trip."

In Greenwich Village

"Dosa Man Washington Square South and Sullivan St. Vendy Awards 2007 winner Thiru Kumar serves up vegan fare, a rarity on the vendor scene. The guys praise both his food and his attitude. "He's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet," says Jesse."

"Dogmatic Dogs Bleecker St. and Houston St. This cart offers a twist on the traditional hot dog, served in a warm, hollowed-out baguette. "It's so cool how they do it," says Jesse. "They jab a baguette with what looks like a hot poker, and it toasts it from the inside."

There's Mexican food cart at Wooster & Prince St. in Soho called Calexico that won the top award for street food this year.

nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/10/19/2008-10-…