We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

Hi,

Were visiting New York City in March, March 14-March 20th 2005. I am i've booked at both the Westin Times Square but then I read some of the reviews and made another booking at the Affina Dumont. I'll cancel one of the bookings, but I can't really decide which property to stay at? Were staying six nights. How far the Affina Dumont from say Times Square and Rockerfeller Plaza? Off the topic, but how is the weather in March in NYC and how would one go about getting tickets to SNL, i know its a long shot! I guess i don't want to stay at the Westin just because I am Starwood memeber, i am hoping of course for an upgrade!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

If you want to use a Starwood hotel there are MANY to choose from in NYC. The Westin Essex House, there are 2 Ritz Carltons, several Sheratons, some W's....the list is long. Assuming you're youngish with the SNL request, what about the W Union Square? The Affinia Dumont is a great, convenient place but not a "happening" area. The Sheraton Four Points Chelsea is not fancy but in a great location too. What are you looking for?

Here;s ticket info for SNL I found on the web. You should also check the SNL website.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

Either one of the hotels are good, if you want to be closer to rokefeller plaza then the westin is definatly closer, but 34th to times square is a real short walk, in fact I walk from times square to 34th a lot of times rather than taking the trains because its such a short walk.

Tickets to SNL can be a little difficult sometimes, usually you have to make reservations a minimum of a month to two months in advance, but you can also go to the nbc studio really early in the morning of the day you want to go to SNL and get standby, i done standby and it can be unreliable but for the most part you can get in on standby.

Weather in NYC during march can be pretty cold still, once in a while you might get a warm day but usually it stays cold all the way to april.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

I also agree with nywiz for your age group 14th St Union square is a happening place, and all around the NYU university area is great too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

Forgot to post the URL for ticket info

nytix.com/TVShows/NewYork/SNL/tickets.html

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

if i were you i'd choose the affinia dumont just on the basis of the reviews on Trip Advisor. The Westin Times Square has some good reviews, but also some pretty bad ones. the affinia dumont, however, has only fantastic reviews. as another poster already said, neither rock center nor times square are very far from 34th & lex . . . a nice walk . . . but having had the experience once or twice of staying in a times square hotel, i'll not do it again. yes, it's a very "happening" area, but when i'm trying to sleep, i'd prefer not hearing what's happening outside. the affinia is in a much quieter area. if you do decide on the westin, ask for a high floor so you'll be far from the noisy traffic.

if you decide on the affinia dumont, PLEASE post a complete report of your experiences as my husband and i will be staying in a junior suite there in mid-may. i chose the affinia after much research and reading all of the posts on this site and corresponding with a fabulous lady named Nancy at information@affinia.com. if you contact her, tell her a woman named "Dave" sent you.

Lots of luck whatever you decide and have a wonderful trip.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

Hi,

I just got back from staying at the Affinia Dumont (I have posted a review.

Its a great hotel with nice rooms (I stayed in a studio) and very helpful and friendly staff.

I was glad we didn't stay around Times Square -it was great to walk back to a nice quieter area but it was easy to get about from there.

I may be biased but to be honest if I won the lottery I would stay in the Affinia Dumont - but maybe upgrade to a suite!!

Sarah

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Times Square or Affina Dumont?????

I also agree that I would rather not stay right in Times Square if I have a choice. I don't mind walking to it for some of the sights, but for everything else, I would rather stay outside it.