We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid week or weekend?

niagara falls canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Topic
mid week or weekend?

Hello to all! I hope you had an enjoyable and peaceful holiday.

We were given a trip to NYC for our Christmas gift!

We want to take the kids this time, and I really want to catch a broadway show. I am just trying to figure out if we are best to come mid week or on a weekend, as I am not sure when the theaters are dark. I believe it is Monday and Tuesday afternoon?

I hope my theater luck changes this trip...lol. As some of you may remember we had to change our plans last year and missed Wicked. Then in November, the show for the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular was cancelled.

We just need to decide when to come...Jan., Feb., March? mid week or weekend?

We are looking forward to being back and the kids are happy that they are coming this trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid week or weekend?

"We were given a trip to NYC for our Christmas gift!"

What does this gift include? Is hotel paid for? Is it just money that you can spend any way you see fit? Your questions are really too broad. Most but not all shows are dark on Mon. night. There are only matinees on Wed, Sat and some on Sun. If there's a particular show you want to see (ie Wicked) why not see when tickets are available and book your trip around that? Some hotels have cheaper rates on weekends (for ex., look on travelzoo.com where there are lots of weekend specials) and some places have discounted rates for any day of the week.

niagara falls canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mid week or weekend?

Thanks Whiz. Sorry I left the information so vague. Flight / hotel/ meals / show tickets all included in the gift. I don't think we want to see Wicked with the kids. We would try to pick up tickets at the TKTS booth for something that appeals to all of us.

This trip would be very relaxed with no real set itinerary. We just want to enjoy our time together. Our daughter wants to go to the American Girl Store and our son wants to spend some time on Music Row...

Thanks for the theater information regarding matinee times as well as the dark times. It will help in deciding when to come.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mid week or weekend?

Last month we found it a bit more hectic on weekends as far as the tourist attractions and restaurants went. One case in point: we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge (highly recommended) on a Wednesday and it was nice and unhurried. Did the same thing on Saturday and it was mobbed, almost elbow to elbow.

As far as which month to visit, I think much of it depends on which matters more to you: crowds or weather. The closer Spring gets the greater the crowds are likely to be. But March shouldn't ne too bad (but be mindful of St.Patrick's Day: that changes the entire dynamic.

If it were me, I'd go in early March and arrive on Wedesday. Hope you have a great time in NYC.

4. Re: mid week or weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 03:16