We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Bristol - New York.

Bristol
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Bristol - New York.

Hi

I am gonna be flying Bristol - Newark in February and am confused by the flight times.

It says it is 8hrs 10mins outward.

This seems a little long, I have a friend who travelled Heathrow to just over JFK in 7hrs.

Has anyone travelled this route recently and do you have an idea of how long it takes.

Cheers

Kev

P.S. It is Continental I am flying with.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Bristol - New York.

Continental Airlines flies a twin-engine Boeing 757-200 aircraft on this route. The 757-200 doesn't fly as fast as the Boeing 777 or the four engine Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A340 aircraft that British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fly between London Heathrow and the New York area airports.

Also, Newark airspace is relatively congested, the routing into Newark has to completely avoid JFK airspace, this means a more westerly routing and sometimes an approach from the south.

U.S. flag carriers also pad their schedules more than European airlines seem to. It is very competitive for each airline to report their percentage of on-time flights. Better to say it'll take 8 hours and make it in seven and a half than to say it'll take a little over seven and it takes seven and a half.

Continental is very good and the 757's have in-flight audio video on demand. I'm sure you'll have a great flight and will appreciate the convenience of flying from Bristol vs. congested Heathrow.

Remember, you have several options for getting into Manhattan from Newark Airport. There is an AirTrain / NJ Transit ($15.00), Olympia Trails bus ($15.00) and you can prearrange a sedan with Dial 7, Allstate or Carmel. Avoid the touts in the airport asking whether you need a ride / need a taxi. If you decide to take a local taxi, use the taxi rank outside where the uniformed dispatcher is stationed.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Bristol - New York.

Just over 7 hours seem realistic.

Take a look at flightaware.com to track the flight to the states. You can track it on the map, when its close to the US.

Todays took less than 7 hours.

Extract from website below:

COA77 (web site) (all flights)

Continental Air Lines Inc. "Continental"

Aircraft Boeing 757-200 (twin-jet) (B752/W)

Origin Bristol (EGGD)

Destination Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR)

Other flights between these airports

Route n/a

Date Saturday, Dec 27, 2008

Duration 6 hours 52 minutes

Status Arrived over an hour ago (track log)

Scheduled Actual/Estimated

Departure 10:53AM GMT 10:53AM GMT

Arrival 01:13PM EST 12:45PM EST

Bristol
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Bristol - New York.

Thanks for the input guys, both is very informative.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

My friend said that she went from Heathrow to JFK and they flew up over Scotland and Northeern Ireland before heading past Canada into New York.

I suppose on the day if we fly south that will take longer.

Thanks

Kev

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Bristol - New York.

The route is determined by the winds. I've had some trips out London Heathrow that went due north for the first hour, I've had flights that went due west, it depends on the winds. The airlines are looking to get you there in the quickest and safest method possible while burning the least fuel.

5. Re: Flying Bristol - New York.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 03:17