We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security at Newark airport

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Topic
Security at Newark airport

Flew into JFK last November got through security quite quickly we are flying into Newark this November what is security - customs like there?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security at Newark airport

Much the same as I had little or no delay getting through. Many booths (counters) so it moves along briskly.

Good Luck, as one never really knows beforehand what may occur. try to keep cool.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security at Newark airport

Hey Elle,

I flew from Dublin to Newark in october last year. Had no problems with customs at all straight through no hold ups. Like some say i suppose it can all depend.

Have a good trip

Jillian

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
482 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security at Newark airport

Elle, we flew in to Nerwark at the end of July. The lines moved slowly but steadily, though there were a majority of the immigration booths being used. Make sure you have filled in all the forms fully on the plane before you land.

If you are a family, you can go up to the booth as a group rather that individually, which is helpful. However, what takes the time is fingerprinting and photographing everyone who is not a minor.

Also, don't expect much chat or sense of humour from the immigration people. As far as customs is concerned, this appeared to be of minimal concern compared to immigration.

Just hope that your plane lands prior to any international 747s.

We got in line to be followed very soon afterwards by what must have been a full Jumbo jet from Japan. There was little air conditioning and I would have hated to have arrived after the 747.

There are planty of police around as well. Our first sight of the Police was someone in handcuffs being arrested right outside the terminal building. A good introduction to NY.

Enjoy your trip.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security at Newark airport

It seems to be incredibly random everywhere here, including Newark.

The last time I flew through I had regular shoes that I didn't have to remove. My husband had sandals and was told to take them off.

It will likely depend on how busy the airport is when you are there and what the mood is of the particular attendants on duty that shift.

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Security at Newark airport

Thanks for the replies as long as I dont make the mistake of not filling the complete visa wavier form in like I did last year going through JFK I should be fine (was sent to the end of the queue last time!!)

uk
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Security at Newark airport

hi, i have a connecting flight through newark to vegas next feb and as im flying in from UK i will have to pass through customs. My connecting time is 1hr 45mins. Should this be enough time to get through and do you still have to collect your bags and put them through again. Thanks in advance for all answers.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
482 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security at Newark airport

Hi Den

Although it is probably different flying back home, we flew from Orlando to Bristol via Newark with Continental and our connection time was just 45 minutes. Our baggage was checked all the way to Bristol so we didn't have to worry about that. They should be able to do the same with your bags as well.

However, if you have got to go through immigration at Newark before catching your connecting flight, then 1 hour 45 minutes might be cutting it a bit fine. You have only got to be a little late, or land behind a couple of full 747s and you won't get through immigration in time and they don't make special allowances for people with connecting flights either.

If there is later flight that allows another hour, say, it might be worth changing to that one.

Have a good trip.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security at Newark airport

Hi Elle

We flew into Newark on 1st October arrived at about 4.30pm and it took us about 1.5 hours to get though customs - we were sitting right at the back of the plane though. Hope you fill in the form properly

Have a great trip

CathyC

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security at Newark airport

Just remembered the security checks coming out of Newark last Saturday night were quite strict - all shoes off, they even made me take of my sweatshirt - they were really shouty and quite rude. It must be a really pants job though

CathyC