We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Visa Rules

Monaghan, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
New Visa Rules

can anyone please tell me if there are new requirements needed before going to america regarding visa. i have heard a couple of people saying something sketchy about how its not going to be as easy to go to america, that you have to have a special visa to go even if its only for a short holiday. was thinkin of going in march and would like to make sure.

thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Visa Rules

www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

Monaghan, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Visa Rules

thanks for the quick reply

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Visa Rules

Anyone know how far in advance you can fill the form in before your trip?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
578 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Visa Rules

You can fill it in now. I think it becomes compulsory on either the 9th or 12th Jan. Cheers!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Visa Rules

Thanks! What I meant though was is there a certain amount of time before you travel that you have to fill it in by or if your not travelling for a few months and fill it in now will it expire or just last till you leave the US?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Visa Rules

It lasts for up to two years or until your passport expires (whichever comes first).

You can take a look at the FAQs on the site for any questions. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

hampshire uk
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Visa Rules

hi the new electronic online form needs to be completed from 12th jan its called esta. the web site is -esta.cbp.dhs.gov. I hope this helps. yvonne

hampshire uk
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Visa Rules

hi the new online forms must be completed from 12 jan

web site is esta.cbh.dhs.gov.I hope that helps

cheshire
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Visa Rules

Hi,

Have just finished filling out our forms for gf and 2 children for travel at end of march,while gf and 2 kids all got immediate approval mine came back authorisation pending,but after checking back 15 mins later ( out of curiousity ) my application had been updated and approved.So if anyone elses application does this, don`t panic!! ( unless you have a sinister past thats about 2 catch up with you )!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Visa Rules

Do you need to print anything off or do you get a ref number or something or is it just on the system for once you get to immigration?