We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Good Show in December

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A Good Show in December

Hello,

My husband and I will be in NYC December 26th - 28th. Can anyone recommend any good shows? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Broadway show but we would like to stay in Manhattan and avoid the other burroughs.

Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Good Show in December

Go see RENT. It takes place around Xmas. And, in the spirit of the season, it has a great message, ie love, acceptance, tolerance, compassion, etc. Plus, the music is great.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Good Show in December

Where do your theatrical tastes lie? Musical or non? Comedy or drama?

Fluffy or intellectual?

Appley Bridge...
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Good Show in December

Check out the NYC Ballet's production of the Nutcracker. The sets and the orchestra are great and the cheaper seats, way up in the balcony, are lots of fun.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Good Show in December

I have heard "RENT" is good and that is on our list of possibilities. I also heard "The Lion King" is spectacular. We saw "Beauty and the Beast" last December and thought he staging was great but the acting was a little off.

A good musical, or something with good music in it would be great. My husband would probably fall asleep if we went to he ballet so the Nutcracker is out.

When we were walking around Time Square last year, we noticed an advertisement for a show that sounded like it would have been similar to something Nathan Lane's character in "The Birdcage" would have done. Anybody know anything about it?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

USA
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Good Show in December

You are probably referring to "La Cage Aux Folles (sp.?)" which the Birdcage was based upon. But that has closed, I believe.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A Good Show in December

if you like old-fashioned musicals there's Sweet Charity starring Christina Applegate of TV's Married With Children fame

opening in November is a new musical using the songs of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons called The Jersey Boys

for a musical comedy, The Producers based on the Mel Brooks movie

if you are willing to pay $$$, there's the musical Monty Python's Spamalot with Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Good Show in December

I rememember seeing La Cage Aux Folles advertised but that wasn't the show I was thinking about. I believe the one I'm thinking of is dinner and a drag show, or something along those lines.

Altamonte Springs...
Level Contributor
345 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Good Show in December

Could that be Lucky Cheng's? That's way down in the East Village.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Good Show in December

I don't think that's it, we were never in the village. Is it any good? We are willing to try something different.