We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Home on Second Avenue?

Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Second Home on Second Avenue?

Hi,

We will be returning to NY in July, and booked with Second Home on Second Avenue (the Tribal room, as it has a private bathroom).

However, on New Years eve we received an email with the following..

"Due to building department zoning laws in NYC we were forced to shut down our location in 221 second avenue, so, it CANNOT be occupied. We cannot say for sure how long it will be before we can reopen. But, I have a good news I am UPGRADING you to the Modern Apartment Located at 212 E 13th Street, between 2nd & 3rd Avenues. One bedroom with one queen size bed and one queen size sliding sofa bed. 500 square feet. You can view the pictures on our website www.secondhomesecondavenue.com

This room includes the following: <rest of message snipped>"

Now, while we're delighted with the free upgrade, as we've seen nothing but good things about them, does anyone know the following?

1)What zoning change caused this, and why?

2)I've seen a *LOT* about illegal apartment rentals; is this one all above board?

Thanks in advance.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

"The owners, or those of us who booked in good faith based on fantastic review on this very site?"

Honestly? The owners more so, but the guests are somewhat responsible for their own situation, as well. I've posted about Second Home on Second Avenue being illegal multiple times, but people seem to ignore that in favor of doing exactly what they want.

Frankly, I don't post about vacation apartments being illegal for my own health or financial gain. I do it out of interest for the city, its residents, and those who wish to visit the city. I know what I write isn't always what people want to hear, but I'm not crying wolf here. If I post that a situation is illegal, you can bet money that it is illegal. Caveat emptor.

22. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 13:02
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Again, so future readers can check out the facts for themselves:

…nyc.gov/bisweb/ComplaintsByAddressServlet…

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

I don't see how a guest can be responsible for booking an "illegal" advertised B&B on such a reputable site as tripadvisor, I think its voted 9 of 37 from memory. I actually enquired about this place but decided to go with the Colonial House Inn. It never even occured to me to search on the "forum" re this place being an illegal lodging. If its illegal why doesn't trip advisor remove its listing? Now that this has been brought to my attention it got me concerned about the Colonial House Inn, which I searched via your link....seems there were some reported violations, which all seem to be dismissed, however I've never had any reason to read building inspection reports particularly in NYC! So if anybody has any further interpretation re the Colonial House Inn would be great?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

"If its illegal why doesn't trip advisor remove its listing?"

Your guess is as good as mine.

The Colonial House Inn is not an illegal hotel, so you're in luck there.

And call me crazy, but when I travel, I research pertinent law for the places I'll be visiting. I doubt that any 18 year-old who visits the US is shocked by the fact that our drinking age is 21, yet people feign surprise whenever they're informed that shady apartment they tried to rent from an anonymous person on Craigslist is a scam. Why is that?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Also, there's no reason to put the word illegal in quotation marks here, Alexandria79. The word is right there on the DOB website, and there's plenty more information about the subject available for anyone with access to Google.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

I can't believe this! I booked in October for the end of may this year, 3 nights. I am well aware of the illegal hotel situation in New York and would never have booked such a thing. So booked this after seeing the reviews and seeing how long it had been open I thought was ok. Like the original OP, i've seen nothing but good things.

I've paid $318 deposit which I hope can get back but I doubt it.

28. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2009, 16:15
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Or, you could just click on NYCexpert1's profile and see the illegal apartment he's trying to promote.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Or, for more fun, read all about NYCExpert1's adventures with the Department of Buildings:

…nyc.gov/bisweb/ComplaintsByAddressServlet…

You might want to work on your neighborly relations, there.