We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Home on Second Avenue?

Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Second Home on Second Avenue?

Hi,

We will be returning to NY in July, and booked with Second Home on Second Avenue (the Tribal room, as it has a private bathroom).

However, on New Years eve we received an email with the following..

"Due to building department zoning laws in NYC we were forced to shut down our location in 221 second avenue, so, it CANNOT be occupied. We cannot say for sure how long it will be before we can reopen. But, I have a good news I am UPGRADING you to the Modern Apartment Located at 212 E 13th Street, between 2nd & 3rd Avenues. One bedroom with one queen size bed and one queen size sliding sofa bed. 500 square feet. You can view the pictures on our website www.secondhomesecondavenue.com

This room includes the following: <rest of message snipped>"

Now, while we're delighted with the free upgrade, as we've seen nothing but good things about them, does anyone know the following?

1)What zoning change caused this, and why?

2)I've seen a *LOT* about illegal apartment rentals; is this one all above board?

Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Alice, it looks like you're incorrect. Maybe you have something against this particular establishment, but whatever its problems it was NOT an illegal hotel.

I reviewed the building dept records, and while vacate orders were issued, they were due to FIRE CODE violations related to emergency exits and sprinklers!

The complaint saying "Re: FDNY REPORTED ILLEGAL HOTEL WITH NO SECOND MEANS OF EGRESSAND NO ALARM SYSTEM ON 3RD & 4TH FLOORS"

means that someone CALLED IN to the FDNY with that as the complaint. The actual violation issued was:

VIOLATION ISSUED FOR FAILURE TO PROVIDE UNOBSTRUCTED EXIT PASSAGEWAY

which is exactly the same as what they found a couple days before and issued the vacate order for. Both of these are listed as Code 37s in the ECB's manual.

If they had been served violations for being an illegal hotel, that would be a SEPARATE and DIFFERENT code/complaint.

I mean, this is what it says right there in the site you direct everyone to. If I'm wrong, show me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Take a look at leslie917's post at the bottom of this page:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1966051…

Nice job violating the TA policy on multiple screen names.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

I don't follow...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Dave, that's a reference to NYCExpert1's post, which duplicates the post at the bottom of the link I provided. That person either has posted under multiple names or is simply a plagiarist.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

Ok, I don't understand what is going on. Is this an illegal hotel or not? I don't know what the last few posts are all about. I have now cancelled my say at 2nd home and having to find a new place. I wouldn't like to think I have cancelled for nothing.

Can anyone enlighten me??

thanks

christine

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

"Alice, it looks like you're incorrect. Maybe you have something against this particular establishment, but whatever its problems it was NOT an illegal hotel.

I reviewed the building dept records, and while vacate orders were issued, they were due to FIRE CODE violations related to emergency exits and sprinklers!"

You forgot to check the Certificate of Occupancy. It's an illegal hotel.

For the record, I have nothing personal against Second Home on Second Avenue, nor any other individual illegal hotel. I've had no one-on-one experience with any of these people, so it's safe to say that I despise them all equally.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

The most recent C of O is not yet scanned into the system, so can't view it through the DOB site. The 1934 cert and 1972 ones are the only ones online so far. Would have to call the DOB or visit the premises to see the current cert, which may be different.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

In order to change the Certificate of Occupancy, the owner of the building would have had to file an approved job request. There's none on file.

39. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 13:02
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Second Home on Second Avenue?

You seem quite involved with this illegal hotel drama PishTish. Any particular reason why?