We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Hello friends,

As usual I have over researched hotel rooms and find myself at an impass. I had narrowed it down to Affinia 50, Doubletree TS and possibly Vincci Avalon. But recent post about The Beacon have made me reconsider. I have a party of 5 which includes 3 kids, ages 15 to 20. They seem to think a Times Square room would be fun. I know it would be loud and busy but kids like loud and busy. Would I be better off in one of the quiter areas? I just want to have a comfortable and roomy place to crash at the end of the day. Their father wants easy transportation around the city and reasonably priced food nearby. The 20 year old eats like a horse. I have read a lot of previous threads that helped me narrow down the field but need a little extra help to pull it all together. Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

I will say I don't think the Vinci Avalon is very good and would eliminate that option. If you want to stay in that area, the Affinia Manhattan is a better option. But then the decision has got to be yours on Times Square suites vs. suites in a less crazy area. You'll find affordable food in Times Square or the upper west side where the Beacon is or in midtown east where Affinia 50 is. Just depends on relative prices and whether the kids likes take precedence over what you may like. If you're coming at a school holiday time when other kids will also be on vacation, Times Square will be mobbed.

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

I knew I could count on you nywhiz. I had the Avalon down as marginal. Thanks for helping me get rid of that one. I have found if the kids are happy and doing their thing I have a much more relaxed trip. We are going in early June. My kids have an alternative school calender so they get out a little early. Maybe the crowds won't be too bad.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Are the kids girls or boys? The Affinia 50 is very near Bloomingdales and the shops that surround it (Levi's, H & M etc.) so if they're into shopping, they might not mind the Affinia 50 location. What's the difference in price?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Many schools all over the country are out by then, but NYC public schools are still in session, so at least you won't have to compete with the local kids!

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

My youngest is a girl who inherited her mothers love of shopping.I found the Doubletree for 30 dollars less than Affinia 50. I can't find the rate for the Beacon at the moment but I remember finding it more in the Doubletree range, less than Affinia 50.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Hi there,

I would recommend you get an apartment so you have more room. You can get a two bedroom apartment with a sofabed if you want.

Check out Murrayhill East Suites or Club Envoy.

Cheers

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

Not an apartment...... a suite hotel, which is what Derbyangel was looking at.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

I find it hard to believe the Doubletree in Times Square is less than the Affinia 50. Have you checked quikbook.com for prices on the Affinia? Are they both 1 bedroom suites with 2 beds and sofabed?

Is the Doubletree price cancelable? If yes, book it ASAP and you can keep an eye out for sales or reduced pricing. Affinia recently had a 9 day sale that you missed. When exactly is the trip?

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

The Doubletree TS is so roomy, and you won't hear the noise from Times Square. If it's in your price range, I say to go for it. Have a great trip!

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! I'm going cross-eyed over hotels.

It was not a reservation I could cancel but I always get travel insurance. I have some flexabilty in the dates. I can go anywhere between 6/7 and 6/19. I decided to go with the Doubletree not so much for the price but because we won't have many more trips with the entire family and the kids loved the idea of Times Square. We decided to add on one night somewhere really upscale as a special treat. I still have to decide on that one but I will splurge a little. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be back several times before we leave