We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Case: going from JFK to Midtown Manhattan

(and later Midtown - Newark)

What we ARE:

- 2 (possibly a third one) adults

- carrying some luggage

What we ARE NOT:

- rap artists travelling with posse

- D.Trump / Mr.Big

- a group of teens going to a prom

- wedding party

Was thinking of car service...

Did the math and it looks like the difference between a sedan and a 6-pass limo isn't that big.

The idea of being able to stretch my legs after 2 flights....maybe asking the driver to stop for a cig on our way to the hotel feels tempting...

Does anyone ride a limo IRL ?

On a scale of 1to10 - how big of a showoff would that make me for riding a limo - with only 2-3 passengers in it?

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Not a show off at all,

We have visited nyc three times(4th visit in november)and all three times we have used a limo for airport transfer,

The first time we were wary about turning up at the hotel with just 2 of us in a ten seater stretch but there are that many on the roads no one notices,

Go for it,

Darren

Ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Was just wondering Icf who did you travel with and what were the costs roughly

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Everyone in NYC has a limo. We just don't make a big deal about it. ;o)

Seriously, the truth is that no one in NYC cares about what you do, or I do, or what anyone does, as long as you don't wake us up while we're sleeping or cut in front of us in line.

It takes a lot to raise a New Yorker's eyebrows or make us wonder why others are doing what they're doing.

Go for it! Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

I agree, do what you want BUT if you use one of the cheaper cos., don't be surprised if a regular sedan shows up. The cheaper cos. don't really have many stretch limos. I usually recommend dial7.com for a basic ride (and they have no stretch limos) or for something fancy

strusserslimousineservice.com

mdlimousine.com

both of which are substantially higher than Dial 7. Which co. were you planning on using? The most important thing is dependability (they have to show up and be able to get you to where you're going).

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Whiz is 100% correct. Reliability is most important. Also, if you're only 2 people, they'll likely just send a Town Car. If more, possibly a smaller stretch.

As a side note, I often take a car service when I go to the airport. Oftentimes, even when traveling by myself, the service will send a superstretch 10 passenger limo to pick me up because that's what they had available near me at the time. No big deal, and like everyone said, no one cares.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

And just to drive home the point, there are hundreds of disreputable limousine services online that play bait and switch (offer one thing but provide another-or quote one price but charge another) preying on unsuspecting tourists who they know won't be here for long or won't be willing to fight overcharges from a distance.

We've heard bad stories about Lincoln Limo

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2374541…

If the price difference b/w the sedan and 6 pass. limo is not big, I think something's wrong. If you don't want to tell us which company, then at least put the name of the co. in the search box above and see if anyone has used them.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

Ok here's one company that I've been found:

nyclimousine.com

The thing that caught my eye was the way total price is calculated.

Luxury Sedan: 79.80

Gratuity (0%) Optional

STC (9%) 7.18

Airpot parking 6.00

Tolls 5.00

Estimated total 97.98

6-pass stretch limo: 120.60

Gratuity (20%) 24.12

STC (9%) 10.85

Airpot parking 6.00

Tolls 5.00

Estimated total 166.57

Sure - there IS indeed a price difference (97.98 vs. 166.57) - But as you can see - the price for a sedan does not include gratuity.

As I'm ALWAYS lost with the way I'm supposed to tip - I always start with the assumption that I AM supposed to tip - if not told otherwise...

So - even though they write "Gratuity 0% (optional) - I'm pretty sure the driver STILL expects me to tip him.

And if this is the case - 97.98 + tip (20%) - suddenly becomes a total of 117.57

As you can see - the price for a 6-pass stretch limo includes gratuity (20%) - so I guess I'm safe to assume that I don't need to worry about the driver attacking me with a tire iron if I don't tip him (since the price already includes gratuity)...????

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

"so I guess I'm safe to assume that I don't need to worry about the driver attacking me with a tire iron if I don't tip him (since the price already includes gratuity)...????"

Not necessarily. I don't know this particular co. but we've heard LOADS of stories from others who were quoted a price that was supposed to include tip and then the driver insists it doesn't.

Bermuda Limo is a well respected co. and they list a price of $130 for a limo from JFK. I'd get a quote from them.

bermudalimo.com/…20sheet.pdf

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

nywhiz: you wrote "If the price difference b/w the sedan and 6 pass. limo is not big, I think something's wrong."

and then posted a Bermudalimos link...

Their price for a sedan and a 6-pass limo is practically the same (120 vs. 130)

I don't mind ending up paying up a bit more - as long as the service is good. If I'm paing for a black limo - I don't want to find a hearse with a driver who doesn't speak english.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would one look stupid riding a limo...

I noticed that too which is why I said get a quote. Bermuda limo is relatively expensive and used by a lot of cos. but I know they also have a lot of stretch cars. You will not wind up in a lousy car with them. With NYC limo which has no apparent reviews online (I've looked) I haven no idea what you'll get.