We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Letterman- the ins and outs

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
David Letterman- the ins and outs

Hello... so if one gets tickets for the DL show, how much time does one need to budget for? Is it a live show still or is it taped and then screened later in the evening? Also, whats the usual procedure to obtain tickets and how soon would you know if you got them? I will be in NYC early May. Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

You would be attending a live taping at around 5 pm for an hour and the show is then shown either later that night or later in the week.

Ticket info here

…cbs.com/latenight/…

You MUST give them a phone number. If they call you, they ask a question to see if you know the show

tripadvisor.com/…4252040

More info here

…about.com/od/tvtapings/p/david_letterman.htm

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
687 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

We did this back in September and had great fun.

You must sign up online for tickets. If any are available for the dates you requested they will call you at the phone number you provide (not sure about non-US numbers). If you are called, they will ask you a trivia question about the show. If you answer correctly then your name is put on a list and you are told the name of that list and when to be at the theater to get your tickets. Once at the theater you wait in line for a while, go in and tell the person which list you are on. You get your tickets and are told when to be back for the taping. We showed up around 2:00 to get our tickets and then came back around 3:30 for the show. We were out by 5:30.

Once you put in for tickets, you probably won't get the call until about a week before you arrive, at least that's the way it worked for me and a friend who went earlier in the year.

It may sound like a hassle, but I didn't think it was too bad. Besides, the tickets are free and it was something I had always wanted to do.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

Thanks....

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

We did this in September too and had a great time. Wehn they give you your return time make sure to be punctual! We were 3 minutes late and missed our original seating group which had the best seats. No problem getting in another group though.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

We got OFFERED tickets in Times square late on a Monday night, dec 2007. We couldn't believe our luck. Haven't seen anyone doing this since, and have been 4-5 times since then. You can go early on the day of the show to try for standby tix, for no-shows.

Had to get there around 4pm, I think. We were out before 6pm. The theater is COLD. You will be surprised how small the theater is. Fun, great experience

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

I applied for tickets in January for next week's shows, and got called back today for next Thursday. We were told to get tickets from 2-3, 3 being the latest. She also told me to be available until about 530. So, I imagine they start lining you up at 3 for a performance at around 4 or so, with taping lasting an hour and a half.

One thing to note, the woman told me that you ARE allowed cameras and phones in the theater, but are not allowed to use them. I was wondering in case I wouldn't be allowed in if I had them on me at all.

new york, ny
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

There are a bunch of TV shows taping in New York. For some it's easier to get tickets. Check out this site: via-her.com/city/…TVShows or …about.com/od/tvtapings/Tickets_for_TV_Show_…

For David Letterman, there are 3 ways to get tickets. Personally I went online and got a call about about 5 days later.

* Online: …cbs.com/latenight/…

* In-person: If you have some time on your hands, you can request tickets up to one month in advance at the Ed Sullivan Theater at 1697 Broadway (between 53rd and 54th streets). Ticket requests are accepted Monday-Friday between 9.30 am and 12:30 pm and on Saturdays and Sundays between 10 am and 6 pm.

* Phone: Call (212) 247-6497 starting at 11 am on the day of the show you want to see and if you can answer the trivia question, you will be asked to come to Ed Sullivan Theater an hour before the show. However, this does not guarantee that you will actually get a ticket.

Good luck!

8. Re: David Letterman- the ins and outs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 12:23