We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques or cash?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques or cash?

Hi,

I was wondering the pro's and con's of taking travellers cheques or cash.

I would prefer to use my debit card (HSBC) at the ATM's rather then credit cards and never used Trav cheq's before. Any advice?

Cheers

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

There's are fairly extensive threads on that subject - please click on this link...or put travellers cheques into the search box on the upper right

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums? ff=5&geo=60763&scope=2&q=travellers+cheques+&returnTo=%2FShowTopic-g60763-i5-k251324-New_York_City_New_York.html&x=14&y=7

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

Hello Casson:

I would take both...

Travellers cheques can be used for purchases as you are out and about in the city...I would lean moreso to cash as you mentioned using your bank debit card as well....

I posted once before here about travellers cheques.. I had no low denominations when I arrived..all 100's and 500"s..I had quite a hard time getting these cashed at the time...My hotel would not cash them as I had room already paid on credit card.

That left me going bank to bank along 5th Ave and finally I got the works cashed in but not without alot of hassle....

I think it was Angie (a frequent poster here) who suggested smaller amounts -like 20's-50's etc.....

That makes perfect sense but I no longer take any travellers cheques to NYC or anywhere for that matter..

If you feel safer with the TC get a variety of denominations and you should be able to use those almost anywhere...

Regards..

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

We took mainly TCs but some cash and had no problems at all. Our hotel (The Salisbury) was quite happy to change $100 at a time and most shops and restaurants also accepted them (even Century21). We used American Express and will definitely do so again. I would also check whether there would be a charge each time you used your debit card at an ATM.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

I actually went into a branch of HSBC in NYC ( I too have an account with them), and they would still make the charges for using the cash machine as well as the conversion fee to GPB. Someone recently posted on another forum that Washington Mutual don't charge for the use of their machines, even for non US based cards, so if you use their machines, that's one charge less. Also, if you open a FlexAccount with Nationwide, they don't charge the conversion fee. I've opened one of these and plan to use Washington Mutual machines on my next visit..it'l be the same as going to your own branch. A link was also to find locations of the Washington Mutual machines, which I'll post. (clients.mapquest.com/wamu/mqlocator…)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

We took cash, travellers cheques and put a lot on the CC.

We never had any problems cashing the TC's but I guess we were lucky that we had a bank right by our hotel (didn't realise the Salisbury would cash them Nic!)

I'm with HSBC too but found I couldn't use my debit card - mine was Solo - I think you are able to use Maestro though.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

Ange, you only had to ask!

I'm assuming you're at work right now so may not have seen my email from last night yet. It was just to say that you might like to check out the website as all the photos are up as well as a title page (click on the heart at the top of Day One). Can you let me know of any amendments?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

You may want to consider one of the preloaded travel money cards. Here in the states you can buy them for like $5 at the auto club (AAA) and put any amount you want on it. It has the Visa or American Express logo and you can use it like a credit card at the merchant or withdraw money at atms for a small fee. It is protected just like the travellers cheques if it is lost or stolen as well.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

You have already received a lot of good advice. As far as exchange rates, one will receive a better rate if one uses credit or debit cards in shops and restaurants and debit cards in ATMs than if you exhange travelers cheques or cash.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

nyc10015, can you run that one past me again. How can you get a better rate than cash???

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers cheques or cash?

If you get dollars from an ATM in NYC with a UK bank card it will "cost" you less pounds than if you bring pounds in cash to NYC and exchange them for dollars at a currency exchange or a bank. Even worse would be to exchange them for dollars in the UK.