We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car & Woodbury Common

Ballymena, NI
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hire car & Woodbury Common

Arriving 7 Feb for 6 nights with our two girls(9&5). Considering a trip to Woodbury common & wondering about hiring a car rather than taking a bus. Any thoughts?

Also, we are thinking of taking a yellow cab from JFK to our hotel (Salisbury W57th).Should we prebook a car service for our return to the airport.

Thanks. Marie

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,399 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

I do not know if it is necessary to hire a car to go to Woodbury Commons. I do question the idea of spending a day shopping with two kids!! There is no need to prebook a car service to get to the airport. The doorman at the hotel should be able to get you a cab.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

Navigating between Midtown Manhattan and Woodbury Common isn't necessarily the easiest thing if you are not familiar with the local area. You might want to consider taking the buses from Port Authority, they really make it easy.

A yellow taxi is perfectly fine for your JFK airport transfers, you don't need to prearrange anything.

Do not accept a ride from anybody in the airport who may ask you whether you need a ride or are looking for a taxi, avoid them.

New York
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

If you mean, take a car service to Woodbury Common, you are going to spend a lot of money, maybe more than you will save shopping there. Also unless you can arrange another car to take you back, you are going to pay the driver to wait for you. You will certainly spend more than $200 for the round trip, maybe a lot more. If you rent a car to drive yourself there, it will cost somewhat less, but car rentals from Manhattan are not cheap either and it's a pretty scary drive from midtown to the Deegan Expressway for those who are not used to driving on the right in horrendous traffic without any good signs to follow. After you get to the Deegan, it's an easy drive. By the way, it's liable to be very cold up there in early February and Woodbury involves a lot of trudging around outdoors. Not much to interest young kids there, either. There is plenty of good shopping in Manhattan, after all, and a lot more to interest kids. But, as the hippies used to say, it's your trip.

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

Hi Marie9LPG,

I have been to both Woodbury Common and Jersey Gardens and on both occasions used a car service. However, I was sharing with friends and it cost us $50 each plus a $10 tip. I can say though it was SO worth it. There wasn't the hassle of bringing a suitcase around the shops, and the relief of dumping the bags back to the car as and when you needed it was just great. Also, it was great just to get into the car and chill going back to the city. I know it's not for everyone and it can be pretty costly but my friends and I intend to use the same car service this year. We also used a car service to and from the airport, again a bit more expensive than a taxi but we all felt it was worth it.

I have two girls, the same age as your two girls and while I know my older girl would love the shopping, I would definitely bring/hire a buggy for the 5 year old as it is a big shopping centre.

Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

At current prices, the bus will cost $106 ($32 for adults, $21 for kids). If you mean you're thinking of renting a car and driving yourselves, I think that's a good idea if you're comfortable driving on the right. If you mean to hire a car service to drive you there, that will be quite expensive.

I agree with the concern of keeping a 5 yr old entertained for a day of shopping. If your husband is not a big shopper, you might consider having him spend the day in NYC with the 5 yr old and you and 9 yr old go on the bus and have an adventure.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

PS, While the Salisbury is central enough not to have to worry about finding a taxi to the airport, since there are 4 of you plus luggage and perhaps lots of purchases, I'd book a car service to have one less thing to worry about. You don't say what time you're going but certain times of day can be more challenging than others to find a taxi and you'd need a minivan which can take more time.

dial7.com

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

Another thing to keep in mind is that Woodbury Commons is an outdoor shopping center. In Feb in that part of NY state the weather is very unpredictable. You can expect cold, perhaps high winds, perhaps snow, sleet or rain or even all three! I was there just a week ago with 14 year old daughter and even though she was motivated, she was freezing! While you can duck in to stores to warm up, you won't get as much accomplished as you would either without the kids, or at another time of year.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

I did exactly this in December rented a large SUV for 6 people at a cost less than the bus and of course the car rentaal as only 10 minute alk max away from the hotel, bus sttion drop off and pick up was a long walk or a cab ride away. So for us it was a no brainer rental all the way. They unfortunately had run out of gps systems but the guy printed off a route using mapquest and this was spot on easy to follow and didnt get lost. It as easier quicker and more conveinient.

If you are comfortable driving go rent.

Ballymena, NI
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

Thanks for all your advice.

We think we'll shop in NYC first and then do Woodbury if we have any time (&money!!!) left.

Now we're just hoping the snow lets up so we can get there.

Marie

New York
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire car & Woodbury Common

You will get here, weather is warming up, it will be mild on Sunday and no bad weather in the forecast.