We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelburne room size opinion

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shelburne room size opinion

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to stay at the Shelburne for 13 nights from May 27 this year. We were planning to stay in a studio deluxe, but I am after opinions on the room sizes.

I know New York hotel rooms are generally on the small side, so I am wondering if we would be better advised to get a 1 bedroom suite rather than the studio. We don't intend to spend a lot of time at the hotel, but nor do we want to be stepping on each other's feet when we are there.

Thanks for your assistance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelburne room size opinion

Do you realize there are floor plans on their website?

affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx…

No one can tell you whether the price difference b/w the 2 sizes is worth it. At that time of year, I might prefer trying to get a suite with a balcony or terrace. I know the Affinia 50 has that.

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
581 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelburne room size opinion

I just stayed at the Shelburne for 4 nites with my adult daughter. We had a 1 BR suite with a living room, 2 queen beds in the bedroom and 2 bathrooms (one off the living room and one ensuite with the bedroom. The diagram on the back of the room entry door showed that there's a lot of difference in the relative sizes of the rooms.

We really enjoyed the space in the suite. If I were staying 13 nites I would want the separate room with a sofa, extra TV, etc. Two weeks is a long time to stay in a room without anyplace to sit except on top of a bed.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelburne room size opinion

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions. We did stay for a month in London in a very small studio so I know what you mean about having nowhere to sit other than the bed. I am definately leaning toward to one bedroom.

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
581 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelburne room size opinion

You might sign up for travel alerts from travelzoo.com. I got a great rate for the 1 BR suite through their weekly e-mail offer.

Also, be aware the rooms at the Shelburne have a variety of floorplans, the layouts on the website are representational and are not necessarily the exact floorplan for all the rooms. They do give a good idea of the general furniture and size of the rooms.

I think any of the Affinia hotels would be a good choice for a long stay of 13 nites. Good luck with your quest. BTW, I would book a refundable, changeable rate in case rates continue to go down. That's kind of unlikely for late May, but you never can tell in this economy. For instance, my travelzoo alert for today offers a Millennium Broadway "upgraded room" for $149 - it's been $169 for some time now and is now $20 cheaper.

5. Re: Shelburne room size opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 11:23