We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Orange, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Our family has visited NYC many times, and done all the requisite tourist traps. Now I am having a "girls week" with my 9 year old (very mature, been to many countries, travelled extensively) daughter. We plan to see 5-6 shows (already chosen, don't need recs), eat fancy, and meander.

The question is: where to meander? We like SoHo, but our experience is limited. I also think we'd like Greenwich and TriBeca. Any recs for certain areas/streets to walk and shop? We like quirky neighborhoods and shops, too. I don't need to see places we can find at any mall (we have just about everything here in the OC)! And I don't need Madison Avenue. Most of those stores are here in the OC as well.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

If you're keen on walking around Greenwich, check out this site(home.nyc.rr.com/jkn/nysonglines/bedford.htm). You can navigate up and down the streets and there's great detail given on what is where. Also, have a look at a set of cards"50 Adventures on Foot" available in bookshops and on amazon.

amazon.com/exec/…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

I just want to say your daughter is so lucky to be so well traveled. Good for you. And since I'm so in love with theater, how wonderful to be able to come see so much.

Get the walking tour cards that Daisiegee suggests. You might also want to reserve a Big Apple Greeter to show you around an unfamiliar neighborhood.

www.bigapplegreeter.org

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Once you've exhausted the Manhattan neighborhoods to walk around, you can be adventurous and take the subway to Queens and walk in the ethnic neighborhoods there where you can shop and eat. There's Astoria (Greeks and Italians), Jackson Heights (Indian Town and Central/South American), Flushing (Asians). I can give you subway instructions if you want.

If you want to stay in Manhattan, have you explored the upper West side? If you do, your daughter may get a kick out of Cafe Mozart especially if someone is celebrating a birthday there. They don a Mozart wig on the birthday person while the song is playing.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

I would suggest 8th Street from West to East - the heart of Greenwich Village and playground of NYU. Start at Sixth AVe and walk east until around Third Ave. Yes, there are some head shops and tattoo parlors, but the main focus of the street is the shoes and the clothes!! She'll LOVE Ricky's Cosmetics (multiple locations) - tons of stickers and buttons with smart-aleck "GRRL" slogans, make-up, glitter, hair dyes, brushes and combs, scented canldes, etc. Just keep her away from the XXX-rated areas in the back of their stores, and "usually" curtained off (sometimes with a highly ineffective beaded curtain, depnding on store!)

East of Broadway, the street becomes Astor Place and then St. Marks Place - the "blue mohawk" street. May be a little too scary and hard-core punk for her....

If you don't like St. Marks, double-back to Broadway and walk south. Once you cross Houston St., you're automatically in Soho (i.e. "South of Houston"). I'd turn right on Prince St., go to West Broadway, and turn left and go south to Spring, and walk along Spring. Do you two have iPods? There's an Apple/Mac store near here.

This is a good walk, so daughter may get tired - especially if you browse the gazillion jewelry street vendors! Luckily, there are plenty of cafes around for a rest!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Oh, I forgot to mention! She will LOVE the store "Star Magic"!

http://www.starmagic.com/store.cgi

745 Broadway, between Astor (same as 8th St) and Waverly

(212) 228-7770

Call to find out their hours.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Nolita is an area you might be interested in. There are lots of small shops & eateries, and it's a bit quieter than other areas. Nolita stands for North of Little Italy, and it's the area just east of soho. Basically just cross east over Broadway (Prince or Spring would be good street to be on) & start wandering.

I'm pretty sure Star Magic isn't on that spot on Broadway anymore. I'm second guessing myself right now, but I'm thinking it's gone.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Bleecker Street in the West Village has become a very cool and unique shopping street. Even if just to window shop, it now has 3 Marc Jacobs boutiques, including the lower priced Marc store. There's also Lulu Guiness which is great to browse the quirky handbags, and the Cynthia Rowley boutique is always fun. You won't need the brother and sister Ralph Laurens, but those are fun stores too. Aside from designers, the street has great antiques, and vintage bookstores, as well as the infamous Magnolia Bakery.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

OK, one more thing - I'm guessing from your alias you're Jewish. I HIGHLY recommend some walking around the Lower East Side. A treat for all NYC visitors, but usually of particular interest for Jews, since it was the gateway to America for millions of Jews in the 1800s - 1950s.

Today, it is a major Latino community ("Loisaida"), combined with a few old Jews, some younger "new" Orthodox Jews, a little bit of Chinatown, and many young Gen-X hipsters.

Go to the Tenement Museum:

http://www.tenement.org/

Best info on Lower East Side

http://www.lowereastsideny.com/

Say hi to my friend Joe C. at the office - Tell him Mickie sent you!

Eldridge Street Project

http://www.eldridgestreet.org/about_u.htm

Walking tours:

http://www.timelinetouring.com/

You will LOVE Ecomonomy Candy at 108 Rivington Street.

http://www.economycandy.com/

You MUST try Kossar's Bialys. Closes Fri. around 4 pm. Closed Sat.

http://www.kossarsbialys.com/

367 Grand St

(212) 473-4810

Cross Street: Essex Street

Directions: J, M, Z at Essex St; F at Delancey St

Other places to eat:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/roundup/39728/

Orange, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm printing these out to bring with us. We have walked all over Europe so she won't mind any of these walks. If there are any more suggestions, let me know. And thanks for the Jewish ideas. I'm not Jewish, but my husband is, and I enjoy sharing his culture with the kids.

Also, has anyone eaten at a place in Soho called Felix or Cafe Felix or something like that? We went there in the spring and liked the food, but now can't remember where it is! Its on a corner somewhere....

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking/Shopping tips wanted for mom-daughter vacation

hi

what you should do is take a walk down the west side of bleeker street (west side of 7th ave) and take her to magnolia bakery..the best cupcakes in manhattan..my daughters are 20, 16 and 15 and we still go there and we been living here for 9 yrs. and get your self a nice ice coffee its the best and theres tons of nice mom and dad shops around there ...

enjoy ur time together it goes fast...

lupo