We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for newer members

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for newer members

It's always great to welcome new TA members to our little community. TA has saved me so much money and added so much enjoyment to my travels over the years and I love to share the experience with others. A few well-intentioned suggestions are offered to help less experienced members get quicker and better advice:

1. Be specific. Don't ask about "cheap hotels", since the definition of cheap varies among individuals. Better to ask about "hotels in the $___price range".

2. When asking about best things to do, or must-sees, tell us a bit about yourselves. Do you like to walk? Are you into history or architecture? Are you on a tight budget? Is it your third trip? The more we know the better we can advise you.

3. Give your post a meaningful title. "Downtown Italian Family Restaurants?" will draw in those with knowledge that can help you. But a title that says "Going to New York" is so broad that some members may pass over it since they don't know what you need.

4. If you ask for people's opinions, don't be surprised if they disagree with your ideas. You'll find a wide variety of experience and preferences here. It's not unusual for one member to tell you your itinerary sucks and another to think its great. Feel free to ask for more detail but please don't get mad if they seem to shoot down your ideas.

5. Make good use of the private message feature on TA. If you notice a member who seems knowledgeable and helpful, send a complimentary message to them and ask if they can give you other advice.

6. And PLEASE post a trip report or review when you return. Let us know what worked for you and what didn't.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for being a member of Trip Advisor--the best travel forum on the Internet.

Aldo (not affiliated with TA)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for newer members

Aldo-Nola - thanks for your efforts. We try reminding people of your points every so often, starting wy back in 2005.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k150921-… Getting_the_most_from_this_board-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k827947-… How_do_you_decide-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1236044… Read_and_Search_Search_and_Read-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2050759… See_what_happens-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1818662… Some_general_recommendationsfor_potential_tourists-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2256397… We_need_a_separate_forum-

Doesn't always work:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1594616… I_m_not_being_funny_but-

I'd add:

#7. Make good use of the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum. It was designed to answer popular questions.

#8. Make good use of the SEARCH BOX on this forum. The vast majority of questions have been discussed with great recos and advice. You can sort search results by date.

Personally, I prefer that newbies use those tools rather than PM me. I've hardly ever received a PM that asks something not already addressed frequently on the forum or in the FAQ.

Even if you think "I bet nobody's asked this one," believe us - they have.

Wodderick
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for newer members

While I might prefer that new members do a bit of their own research first, I find their PM requests to be sincere, polite, and don't mind them at all.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for newer members

Thanks for the great advise.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for newer members

Amen Brother.

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for newer members

Thanks! for some great advice!!

lynnelizabeth

Anglesey
Level Contributor
549 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for newer members

thankyou - I learnt so much from here before my trip at the end of the year.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for newer members

bump.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for newer members

Jean, tell us a bit more about your trip, if you could! I love living vicariously.....

9. Re: Suggestions for newer members

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 19:22